[SOLVED] Cellular decided to stop working

Solution
It's very possibly a hardware issue too. I've seen wifi cards and ethernet ports burn out and die. So it's not outside the realm of possiblity that your cellular modem died. If it's a seperate card on the motherboard, they're easy to replace.

kanewolf

Titan

AngelDevoid

Prominent
Apr 30, 2020
Settings never arrived as I expected, Spoke with EE tech support who then transferred me to a "Tech Guru" who also took me through the same troubleshooting which ive previous tried but for the sake of ticking his boxes I proceeded with his instructions. No resolution found.
From what I'm seeing in windows it looks to me like windows is turning off the sim and trying to connect to mobile data without it, its hard to explain really.

Anyway from the beginning
Sim inserted - 4 Bars of signal and can receive texts - mobile data off
- Press "connect" to enable data connection for internet browsing etc. - Can no longer receive text messages and now windows states "no service"
- Disconnect the data connection sim card does not revert back to 4 bars of signal and does not receive text messages.
Sim removed & reinserted - As above and the ride continues.

@kanewolf I'm sure this is not the issue here, if it makes a difference I'm in the UK. Also all other devices with the same provider are working correctly. This laptop also worked fine before this issue started.

A fix without lobotomising the laptop would be ideal as a reinstall I feel is not a fix, rather a bandage to hide the issue that may pop up again because we never actually solved why.

It's very possibly a hardware issue too. I've seen wifi cards and ethernet ports burn out and die. So it's not outside the realm of possiblity that your cellular modem died. If it's a seperate card on the motherboard, they're easy to replace.

Solution