CentOS 6, Missing files, space still alocated on disk

pasow

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
I was making some alterations to my CentOS server remotely (altering some config files for bukkit plugins) using WinSCP and accidentally sent the plugins folder into another folder. after that occurred, i told WinSCP to move the plugins back to buckkit/plugins/*.* and it didn't complain - except for one error on a file that refused to move (not a important one).

after that, i went back to the directory /buckkit only to discover there was no "plugins" folder and as such, none of my files I had just moved... prior to moving those files back to plugins, WinSCP showed a "plugins" directory there. Now before doing anything, I had taken a reading of disk space usage which still matches what I get when I query with "df -h" in the command line. So I’m wondering where the files went to and if it’s possible to recover them, or if I'm screwed and need to redo everything.

I have a backup of the configuration from one month ago, but would hat to loos the last months worth of alterations. I was completely overhauling the configuration for a relaunch tomorrow.

Solution
Really hate to hear of this! for remote admin stuff it is easier to ssh into your machine with 'putty' and modify files/folders via standard core utilities like cp, mv or rm. can also use something like midnightcommander over ssh if you want 'gui'

for finding your files, you are the only one who could possibly know.

you can search files using command to give you exact path:
Code:
find -name "filename.extension"

make sure the files are not just hidden
go look in the directories using list command
Code:
ls -a
Really hate to hear of this! for remote admin stuff it is easier to ssh into your machine with 'putty' and modify files/folders via standard core utilities like cp, mv or rm. can also use something like midnightcommander over ssh if you want 'gui'

for finding your files, you are the only one who could possibly know.

you can search files using command to give you exact path:
Code:
find -name "filename.extension"

make sure the files are not just hidden
go look in the directories using list command
Code:
ls -a

Solution

pasow

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012

thanks for the reply and suggestion on what to use instead for file management remotely. i will be taking a look in to it. now for the files. i ended up searching the drive for them and never was able to turn up anything. i eventually ran a file system check and then all of the storage space that was allocated to seemingly nothing vanished. looks like that backups going to be my starting point now, and at least i got the space on the drive back.

i'm marking this as answered sense there's nothing more that can be done.