Question Centurylink C4000XG Wifi 6 Router

May 8, 2020
I just had 1 gig internet installed through Centurylink. The speeds have been very inconsistent. I have a lot of experience along side fiber optic connections, as well as many friends who are fiber optic installers in other areas of the state. I was told by them I may have an issue with one of my fiber connections, but obviously have no way of proving that. In my experience using other fiber connections, they are ALWAYS screaming fast. 1-5 ms ping times with 900+ Mbps Down /900+ Mbps Up, consistently. When they completed the install, they gave me this new Wifi 6 router (C4000XG). Technician said that it was just released a few weeks ago. My speeds so far have only been about half that, with ping times that are far from consistent, (through hardline, not wifi). Has anyone had any experience with these new routers? Just trying to get some info on if this new C4000XG is good or bad. I called Centurylink back out and they are looking into it, but everyone I have talked to seems pretty clueless on a fix. I am just wondering if there is maybe a configuration issue on my end? I am also running these tests on a brand new gaming PC, so I know my computer can handle the speed. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

May 18, 2020
Just got off the line with them after a TON of calls and finally got to someone with real networking knowledge. Basically, the software for the c4000xg is <Mod Edit>, nobody has any real training on it and its not really integrated with their network. They don't have proper remote controls setup and aren't able to troubleshoot it. They launched a half baked product. You need to demand that they swap it out for a different model (ideally c3000X). The hardware specs are really enticing but the software isn't fully developed. This is not "by the books" advice and has come from several hours on the phone with a bunch of different reps and even a tech coming out.
TL;DR: Get them to swap out the c4000xg for a previous model. Please share this so others don't have to deal with this bs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: deekaddepalli
This is the risk you always take chasing new technology. 802.11ax was only fully certified less than 6 months ago. Everyone rushing product to market and you see bugs. Few people have upgraded their end devices to take advantage so even if it works not a lot of usage.

This is also why I always like a separate router and modem. Modems tends to be pretty simple and not change much. This device is kinda strange in that it has the ability to run fiber which is very rare in the USA.

I have been playing wait and see on 802.11ax stuff. Now I may wait even longer since the FCC just announced that consumer equipment can use the 6ghz band so we are likely to see lots of equipment both 802.11ax and even 802.11ac starting to use it.

Reactions: SamirD
May 28, 2020
Just got off the line with them after a TON of calls and finally got to someone with real networking knowledge. Basically, the software for the c4000xg is <Mod Edit>, nobody has any real training on it and its not really integrated with their network. They don't have proper remote controls setup and aren't able to troubleshoot it. They launched a half baked product. You need to demand that they swap it out for a different model (ideally c3000X). The hardware specs are really enticing but the software isn't fully developed. This is not "by the books" advice and has come from several hours on the phone with a bunch of different reps and even a tech coming out.
TL;DR: Get them to swap out the c4000xg for a previous model. Please share this so others don't have to deal with this bs.
I've had this issue as well and was sent this junk modem when I wanted to purchase my device instead of paying the 10$ extra charge. The service tech that came out basically said the samething you said and swapped it out with the C3000Z which I've used for about 3 years now.
Also interesting to note that the new customer price doesnt apply to existing customers, its a pretty good deal at 65$a month vs 95(10$ modem fee included)

Reactions: SamirD