CEO of Blackberry Has Choice Words for Samsung and Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this guy and RIM is a long way from being able to make such comments on giants such as Samsung and Apple yet. He does kinda have a point... but let's see RIM make a full comeback first before talking...

shotgunz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
It should be...

"Blackberry CEO Thorsten Heins criticises Apple's security and lack of innovation"

You can still break through iOS 6.1.3 passwords and into someone's contacts list and infomation.

You also can just have one phone for installing whatever you want and another phone for pure business use which is much more secure anyways.

I think we can ALL agree the iPhone is outdated. But open source is fundamentally flawed security wise? um no. More eyes more errors found. Ironically apple is also the poster boy for how bad closed source security can be...

Blackberry had it's place in enterprise. It probably won't get it back. But we'll see. Samsungs concept of running your phone instance of Android, that is yours, and an entirely separate sandboxed version of Android that the company has total control of and can wipe, without affecting your phone... Sounds pretty nice. Nice enough I'd like to know more since they already supported encryption and Cisco VPN...

I think we can ALL agree the iPhone is outdated. But open source is fundamentally flawed security wise? um no. More eyes more errors found. Ironically apple is also the poster boy for how bad closed source security can be...

Blackberry had it's place in enterprise. It probably won't get it back. But we'll see. Samsungs concept of running your phone instance of Android, that is yours, and an entirely separate sandboxed version of Android that the company has total control of and can wipe, without affecting your phone... Sounds pretty nice. Nice enough I'd like to know more since they already supported encryption and Cisco VPN...

randomizer

Champion
Whether this outspokenness will hurt or help Blackberry in the long run remains to be seen..

It won't do either. All he did was open his mouth, not bring new products to market. BB10 will determine BB's future, not a CEO's quips.

[citation][nom]unksol[/nom]More eyes more errors found.[/citation]

That's the theory. In reality you don't have hundreds of people reviewing the same code all day. If you aren't interested in it you won't look at it. Of course it's not necessarily better in a closed-source environment either. Code reviews are increasingly skipped as deadlines approach (and some places don't really do them at all).

ioninx

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
In other news a 3rd Grade T-ball player says Babe Ruth was an " OK " player, and that Alex Rodriguez doesn't know how to swing a bat...

xjoedisorderx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
To unksol, Blackberry balance is actually exactly what Samsung said they created, however Blackberry made this new feature known many months if not years ago. its implemented in BB10 and is also the reason it had such high security ratings before it was released.

To randomizer, he did bring new products to market, and more on the way as the year progress'.

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Why? He's right on both accounts. Android has more security holes than Swiss cheese and the iPhone and iOS haven't changed hardly at all in years. I was with RIM for years but wanted to try something new. Tried Android, that was a disaster and lasted a week. With the iP5 right now and it's ok but I'll be heading back to RIM this fall.[/citation]

I agree that he's right on both accounts, but we forget the one company in the market that he didn't mention, Microsoft. while both M$ and BB are aiming to eat into android and apple market share, both of them are deeply rooted in enterprise and there will be fierce competition between the two systems. with bulk orders on the surface pro for enterprise now all set up, you have to ask yourself "if the company buys Surface Pros as a standard tablet for everyone, why wouldn't people just get WP8 to go with it?"

Yes, I know I know there's lot of issues with WP8 as well, but until RIM gets over the WP8 hurtle, it has a lot of issues it needs to sort out. I'm not against a comeback for BB, hell the more competition the better.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]vmem[/nom]I agree that he's right on both accounts, but we forget the one company in the market that he didn't mention, Microsoft. while both M$ and BB are aiming to eat into android and apple market share, both of them are deeply rooted in enterprise and there will be fierce competition between the two systems. with bulk orders on the surface pro for enterprise now all set up, you have to ask yourself "if the company buys Surface Pros as a standard tablet for everyone, why wouldn't people just get WP8 to go with it?" Yes, I know I know there's lot of issues with WP8 as well, but until RIM gets over the WP8 hurtle, it has a lot of issues it needs to sort out. I'm not against a comeback for BB, hell the more competition the better.[/citation]
Yeah, more competition! While it seems unlikely, I hope both WP and BB will rise in marketshare to compete with Android && iOS.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
"They want multitasking"

translation "they want half-as-ing"

seriously though multitasking is NOT good , if you are multi tasking at work you do half as good on each work job , if you're multitaskign in public well that jsut not very safe. that aside don't get me wrong not adcovating apple , jsut tired of this whole multitasking is better crap because its really not.

P.S. apple blows chunks and steve jobs was a rip off artist

williamf3000

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
Study after study show that the human animal is best a performing sequential tasks. We do our best when we are focused on one thing. Multi-tasking is highly overrated as a human behavior. Other than talking, virtually everything on a smart phone is best done sequentially. I don't want to check my email and play Angry Birds at the same time.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
The new BB phones are actually pretty bad, they even look almost exactly like apple's outdated device. Why anyone would buy a BB is something that any sane person will never understand. Too little too late, too expensive.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
I find funny that he's bashing on Samsung because of Android open source nature compromising security, when usually open source software is amongst the most secure.

Sure what Android lacks is the managing functionalities of Blackberry coupled with BB server, but third party software can fix that.

duncanmoo

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Amazing that someone in as senior position as him can say something as embarrassingly wrong as
Open Source === Less secure

Hopefully even non-techies only need to look at Windows VS (*)nix to get that closed source does not equate to security just as open source should not result in lower security.

Him boasting about security though is probably like a red flag to hackors, he just set BB10 up for target practice.

[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]"They want multitasking"translation "they want half-as-ing" seriously though multitasking is NOT good , if you are multi tasking at work you do half as good on each work job , if you're multitaskign in public well that jsut not very safe. that aside don't get me wrong not adcovating apple , jsut tired of this whole multitasking is better crap because its really not. P.S. apple blows chunks and steve jobs was a rip off artist[/citation]

Being able to download something or look up something in the middle of a call or such are definitely aspects of multi-tasking that can be extremely useful.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
This BS coming from a company have the longest gap with their OS and product, most unreliable network, less than 10% of market share...

Jason Mathes

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
He is flailing trying to catch up. His latest device the Z10 is great - but possibly too late to make a comeback. The momentum of Samsung/Android and Apple's iPhone have been moving too fast I think for anyone to really make a dent at this time. Give it another year or three and people will grow tired and look for the next "big thing" in the mobile world. Right now... its all Android and Apple.

Ha, funny thing you are, otacon72, indeed.
Your statements hold as much water as a sifter. You have absolutely no idea what Android security is, on e week of playing with ONE version of Android-BASED phone hardly qualifies you as an expert at that.

Even funnier is how this "argument" comes from a supporter of an iOS that can not even get it's lockscreen security sorted out, and that's for ONE phone, ONE OS version at that. Man, you gave me the laugh of the day, thanks. You are as predictable as sunrise.

As far as RIM is concerned, I agree they should focus more on exposure, marketing, something along the lines of "yeah, we're back and we're better" kind of stuff instead of trying to talk down to established platform manufacturers. Focus on what they CAN do better than others, not on what they think others can not do.

tomaz99

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
[citation][nom]shotgunz[/nom]...You also can just have one phone for installing whatever you want and another phone for pure business use which is much more secure anyways.[/citation]

That is what I do. Then I have another one that I let the kids use, another one for the older kids, and a different one for my wife (you cannot be too careful with wives...).

I like to use a different one on the weekends then another one on trips (who wants to loose their main phone).

At parties I bring a different one because no telling what is going to happen, similarly for trips...who wants to loose their main phone on a trip.

peterson99

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
[citation][nom]tomaz99[/nom]That is what I do. Then I have another one that I let the kids use, another one for the older kids, and a different one for my wife (you cannot be too careful with wives...).I like to use a different one on the weekends then another one on trips (who wants to loose their main phone).At parties I bring a different one because no telling what is going to happen, similarly for trips...who wants to loose their main phone on a trip.[/citation]

lol I shudder at the thought of your phone bill

[citation]Him boasting about security though is probably like a red flag to hackors, he just set BB10 up for target practice.[/citation]

Maybe for the hackers who are just in it for the challenge or to prove a point ... but I don't think most real criminals would even bother with BB10 since there's no market share. No one to steal from = waste of time; better to just attack Windows and Android like everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.