News Cerebras Second-Gen Wafer Scale Chip: 2.6 Trillion 7nm Transistors, 850,000 Cores, 15kW of Power

TheBeastFromOz

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
spread out over 46,225 mm² of silicon (roughly 12x12 in.)

Someone needs to learn to use a calculator, the square root of 46,225 is 215mm or about 8.5x8.5 inches, not even close to 12 x 12. 12 x 12 (approx 305 x 305mm) would be 93,025mm², more than double the quoted figure.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I wonder if they can bring wafer scale chip designs to the consumer market for GPUs. Imagine taking scaling a modern GPU up to that size. You would be able to maxt out most current games at 1080p or even 1440p without having to rely on upscaling when ray tracing is enabled, or maybe even have a true 4K gaming GPU with ray tracing disabled and no upscaling.

I wonder if they can bring wafer scale chip designs to the consumer market for GPUs. Imagine taking scaling a modern GPU up to that size. You would be able to maxt out most current games at 1080p or even 1440p without having to rely on upscaling when ray tracing is enabled, or maybe even have a true 4K gaming GPU with ray tracing disabled and no upscaling.

And you will be able to smash it in pieces much easier when being lousy :) I'm curious how much this toy will cost. Probably will be worth like a new car.

And you will be able to smash it in pieces much easier when being lousy :) I'm curious how much this toy will cost. Probably will be worth like a new car.
Just the wafer cost is over $9k. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/t...aled-300mm-wafer-at-5nm-is-nearly-dollar17000 My guess is something like this will be in the $100's of thousands possibly even into the $1 million range per chip.
Do you want to have your computer drawing 15kW of power? That would be a nightmare to cool, much less your power bill. An average home uses 28.9kWh per day, that means this uses 1/2 of your average home energy usage every hour. Are you wanting to double or more your average electric bill?

Apr 21, 2021
October 4 1957 Humanity's First Artificial Satellite - World Amazed!
July 20, 1969 Humanity's First Steps on the Moon - Whole World Watches!
August 25, 2012 Humanity Becomes Interstellar When Voyager 1 Enters Interstellar Space - Almost Nobody Notices.
April 20, 2021 Cerebras Defeats Another Major Tumbler Toward Unlocking the AI Hell Mouth - US Press Celebrates the 50th Anniversary of 4/20 Pot Smoking Meme!

A few observations:
  1. Bloody incredible technological achievement! There are many amazing stories and heroes behind this development that we'll never hear.
  2. The NSA has already ordered the entire first production run for an NBC hardened black site and is probably planning additional reactors to provide more power.
  3. Teach your children to speak binary.

There are events that literally accelerate the foundation of humanity's technological ecosystem, but at first appearance only create a tiny initial tremor which later grows to reshape our capabilities.

The future potentials of this technology milestone are presently beyond imagination. But undoubtedly they include many trivial misuses (targeting personalized advertising at more intrusive levels) and species-toxic misuses (individual level population surveillance and control).

On a more optimistic note, if we had a global fact and science based holistic model overseeing world public health, pandemics would by extinct. Hmm, maybe build one to get global warming under control?

So if you were too busy celebrating the 50th anniversary of 4/20 yesterday, some really amazing stuff happened while you were out.