Question Certain applications losing internet connection ?

Feb 15, 2021
First time post-er to Toms Hardware! Apologies if my format is off or if I'm posting this in the wrong location.

Here are my PC specs for future reference:

Mobo: z390 Gaming Edge AC
CPU: i5-9400F (Coffee Lake, LGA1151)
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (Bios currently set to run at 3600)
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB Video Card
PSU: Corsair RM650x

Now for my current problem:

KEEP IN MIND: I am connected to my router via Ethernet

Within a span of around 10 minutes, both Spotify and Steam will lose internet connection for seemingly less than a second, about 10-20 times. For my friends on steam, it spams them with a notification saying i'm playing the same game over and over every time this happens. As for Spotify, I am told Spotify is "Offline", but even with that, I can switch songs and stream them with no issues. The problem with this, is it causes massive interference with games, software that relies on steam, and is in general extremely annoying. I can tell this is a software issue to some extent atleast, because I am able to ping google (8.8.8.8) indefinitely with no packet drops through CMD. I am able to stream youtube, netflix, etc all with no problems. This issue only occurs with Spotify and Steam. I have uninstalled and reinstalled all wireless and ethernet adapters, disabled power-saving for both wired and wireless devices, I have renewed my ipconfig ip, performed a winsock reset, to no avail. I am unsure what cause this issue or when it arose.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

EDIT: I have also experimented with using my wireless internet connection as well as of course Ethernet.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY