[SOLVED] Certain devices lose wifi connection how to troubleshoot?

xxnonamexx

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
I have Verizon Fios Verizon FIOS Quantum Gateway G1100 AC1750 router. I have multiple devices connected without issues Mac laptop, Alexa Amazon dot, Surface Pro 4, 2 Kindles. Thinkpad for work. I changed the wireless channels and the surface wifi connection drops out once in a while yet the other devices are fine. I also notice the kindles one drops out once in a while and now the other starts to lose connection. I made sure everything is update, firmwate, drivers. I also have a Netgear Nighthawk EX 7700 as an extender which is updated and shows great connections. What can I do to find out where the drop lies?

Solution
What wireless frequency/channels were you originally using?

What was the original reason for changing channels?

What frequency/channels are now being used?

Any other network changes - especially wireless related: new devices, devices being relocated, etc..?

Before doing much else, you may want to "explore" your wireless network via netsh.

Reference:

https://www.webservertalk.com/netsh-wlan-commands

You can easily find other similar links explaining the netsh command, the options, the results, and the meanings.

Some of the information is likely to be of little or no interest.

However, you will gain some insight about what all is involved and the results may well prove helpful.

No need to immediately react and "do...

Ralston18

Titan
What wireless frequency/channels were you originally using?

What was the original reason for changing channels?

What frequency/channels are now being used?

Any other network changes - especially wireless related: new devices, devices being relocated, etc..?

Before doing much else, you may want to "explore" your wireless network via netsh.

Reference:

https://www.webservertalk.com/netsh-wlan-commands

You can easily find other similar links explaining the netsh command, the options, the results, and the meanings.

Some of the information is likely to be of little or no interest.

However, you will gain some insight about what all is involved and the results may well prove helpful.

No need to immediately react and "do things" if something is not as expected or otherwise amiss.

Simply investigate further and work from there.

Solution
I also have a Netgear Nighthawk EX 7700 as an extender which is updated and shows great connections.

I never use wifi extenders because they always drop connections. I've never had a reliable experience with them.

Do you have coax tv ports elsewhere in the house? Luckily for you, Verizon Fios uses MOCA. Which means you can buy another G1100 and set it up to act as a secondary access point as long as you have another coax outlet somewhere in your house. You can share the outlet with a TV also, just use a splitter that's MOCA compatible(full frequency range like 5-2000mhz, not 5-1000mhz).