Certain Drivers Freezing on Install

Michael Engelhardt

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Hello, I seem to be running into a bit of a problem and I'm not quite sure I can put my finger on what is wrong...

So I have an Asrock Extreme4 Z77 Bios 2.50 running Windows 8.1, 3570k @4.4ghz, GTX 770, intel 240gb ssd, 2tb/1tb seagate, HX 750 psu, and 1866 16gb gskill ares.

Ever since I upgraded from 7, and also twice a fresh install of windows 8.1 I've had really weird problems getting my drivers to install correctly. The motherboard drivers themselves that are updated to Windows 8.1 on Asrocks official site for the board have been posted for some time, and naturally I download them in bulk and install them soon after the OS is freshly installed and some of the automatic updates apply themselves. But, no matter what workflow I attempt to undergo when installing these drivers, my computer will always lock up during specific driver installs, at any given time, with any programs open or closed.

Specifically, the Broadcom LAN driver always does this, and some of the other official ones. The board came with a THX sound feature set that I used to really like on Windows 7, and when I found the correct driver for the 8.1 OS, it locked up on install too.

The LAN driver isn't really an issue because I use a wireless USB TP Link adapter for networking, so I don't necessarily need that to install, however, I have a Corsair 1500 V2 headset that I simply cannot get the drivers to install correctly no matter what I do. The PC always locks up at random points during the installation. I simply cannot get the drivers working, even manually loading them doesn't work. What's worse, is that when I do decide to reset the computer upon reset I discover that sometimes the driver installs, but only halfway. So I'm left with driver remnants that don't function, that I cannot close or open and have to force uninstall with Revo and CClean the mess afterwards. I have to use the driver Windows 8.1 installs automatically, which, in all honesty kind of gimps the headset.

This was with all 1500 V2 headset drivers by the way. Aside from those, other things that seem to modify any and all drivers just simply lock the PC up. Things like Razer Synapse works fine, and Intel's Rapid Storage stuff installs fine too.

If it matters, my HDD access light on my 600T stays lit while the computer freezes, permanently white (like it's being consistently accessed with no breaks, though i've left the PC like this in this state locked up for hours with it still on so I don't think it's doing anything.)

The question I have is more or less, what is causing this? Why do I have this problem with 8.1 and not 7? Is there anything I haven't done? I've cleared CMOS, reset UEFI defaults, raised voltages slightly on my overclocks, ran memtest overnight, nothing will do. I don't have any infections, Avast and Malwarebytes work in unison, with avast being constant and malwarebytes being scheduled once a week. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, found a solution? Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS