Certain Program crash upon launch unless I run as administrator

OffbeatBryce

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017
Hello,

I checked and I'm the administrator of my PC. It says so in my users settings. Some program like Photoshop etc crash upon launch unless I go to the programs properties and select "Run as administrator" in the comparability section. I have to do this every time I install an update as well. Even Chrome was doing this.

Why would this happen when I am the administrator?

Solution
Some programs do need special Administrator privilege, Just check their properties and in Compatibility tab check "Run as administrator", needs to be done only once.
There are two levels of Admin account, one normal which is for only or main user and elevated admin account which MS considers dangerous and for instance Store or Store APPs would not work. It opens up system files to external abuse by malware.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Windows Vista and up operate on a Least User Access format. Just because you have administrative privileges does not mean it will use them at all times. You must implicitly activate them either by using Run as administrator, or if necessary, most programs will offer up a User Account Control prompt. For home users this usually takes the form of a Yes/No prompt.

As for needing it for Chrome and Photoshop, that is a bit odd. I suspect you might have some malware or you have installed this programs to restricted folders.

OffbeatBryce

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017

Well, I don't have any malware. I just ran a scan and it found nothing. I also don't have any restricted folders. All my programs are installed in the Program Files folder on my C drive. However I do have two program files. I got the computer custom made. Also the program files folders are set to read only and I'm wondering if that's the issue.

UPDATE: I don't know if this has anything to do with it but my user that is the administrator which is my name is not listed as a user in the program security section of properties. All I see is administrator, desktop (with desktop name) and a few others but my actual username is not listed as a user in the security settings of the photoshop or chrome program.

Again this is a custom computer that I had built at a local shop. Not sure if the guy installed windows 10 wrong or not but if I log out of my user I have one more user called owner but if I log into my user with my name as the user name it says I'm an administrator under the user settings inside of windows 10

Some programs do need special Administrator privilege, Just check their properties and in Compatibility tab check "Run as administrator", needs to be done only once.
There are two levels of Admin account, one normal which is for only or main user and elevated admin account which MS considers dangerous and for instance Store or Store APPs would not work. It opens up system files to external abuse by malware.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Read only is a typical feature of Program Files. Prevents non-admins from placing files there. You would expect to elevate any application install into those folders.

You could change the permissions on the chrome and photoshop folders and see if that helps. Though I thought chrome typically installs in the user directories.