Question Certain websites and steam store page cant be accessed

Oct 18, 2022
CHROME:this site cant be reached dns_probe_finished_nxdomain
STEAM:error code 105 - unable to connect to server.
I have recently moved into University Accommodation, I am not sure if it is the WiFi settings that the accommodation has or my network adapter, but I cannot access some websites, I tried to install some games but I can't access them. I tried the following:
Release and Renew IP Address
Restart DNS Client Service
Change DNS Servers
Check Host files (no file there)
Reset Chrome Flags
Check DNS of Your Domain

Nothing seems to be working so far, could it be the public network settings where the accommodation is not allowing certain sites to be accessed?
Does anyone know of any fixes or similar experiences? Thank you
Update: Tried using mobile hotspot and the same error is occuring. I did buy a network card only a month ago so could be that?

Last edited:
Have you contacted your Universities IT department to ask if these sites are supposed to be blocked?
While its entirely possible they decided to do so, it is a bit odd, as they really shouldnt block sources such as those since students are going to have downtime in their living spaces.
My university had open access, but if you did anything illegal or shady they would just revoke your internet access tied to your student ID. Across all their networks.

Oct 18, 2022
Have you contacted your Universities IT department to ask if these sites are supposed to be blocked?
While its entirely possible they decided to do so, it is a bit odd, as they really shouldnt block sources such as those since students are going to have downtime in their living spaces.
My university had open access, but if you did anything illegal or shady they would just revoke your internet access tied to your student ID. Across all their networks.
I thought the same, it seems like something they wouldn't do. I will contact and ask anyway, although I feel they will have no idea what I am talking about as I am sure my accommodation doesn't have an IT department.

Try turning off ipv6 in the nic settings.

Leave a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8 run. When you see error does the ping also fail. You can set the dns to 8.8.8.8. It would be very strange if you could ping the ping but could not use it as the dns server.

You also try nslookup ???.com and put in some of the site the browser will not access.