certificate authority

hey all,

i was wondering what the difference was between getting Verisign as an ssl
provider and setting up certificate services on a win 2000 server within an
enterprise?

thanks,
rodchar

You need Verisign if you want your servers to be externally trusted on a
broad basis. If you are using internal only, you can configure the internal
trust yourself.

Best Practices for implementing Windows Server 2003 PKI:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/ws3pkibp.mspx

--
David B. Cross [MS]

Top Whitepapers:

Auto-enrollment whitepaper:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/autoenro.mspx

Best Practices for implementing Windows Server 2003 PKI:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/ws3pkibp.mspx

Troubleshooting Certificate Status and Revocation whitepaper:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/topics/crypto/tshtcrl.mspx

Windows Server 2003 web enrollment and troubleshooting guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/webenroll.mspx
"rodchar" <rodchar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hey all,
>
> i was wondering what the difference was between getting Verisign as an ssl
> provider and setting up certificate services on a win 2000 server within
> an
> enterprise?
>
> thanks,
> rodchar

thank you.

"David Cross [MS]" wrote:

> You need Verisign if you want your servers to be externally trusted on a
> broad basis. If you are using internal only, you can configure the internal
> trust yourself.
>
> Best Practices for implementing Windows Server 2003 PKI:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/ws3pkibp.mspx
>

> --
> David B. Cross [MS]
>

> Top Whitepapers:
>
> Auto-enrollment whitepaper:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/autoenro.mspx
>
> Best Practices for implementing Windows Server 2003 PKI:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/ws3pkibp.mspx
>
> Troubleshooting Certificate Status and Revocation whitepaper:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/topics/crypto/tshtcrl.mspx
>
> Windows Server 2003 web enrollment and troubleshooting guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/webenroll.mspx
> "rodchar" <rodchar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hey all,
> >
> > i was wondering what the difference was between getting Verisign as an ssl
> > provider and setting up certificate services on a win 2000 server within
> > an
> > enterprise?
> >
> > thanks,
> > rodchar

So basically VeriSign sets up there servers the way we would setup our own
CA? Is that correct?

"David Cross [MS]" wrote:

> You need Verisign if you want your servers to be externally trusted on a
> broad basis. If you are using internal only, you can configure the internal
> trust yourself.
>
> Best Practices for implementing Windows Server 2003 PKI:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/ws3pkibp.mspx
>

> --
> David B. Cross [MS]
>

> Top Whitepapers:
>
> Auto-enrollment whitepaper:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/autoenro.mspx
>
> Best Practices for implementing Windows Server 2003 PKI:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/ws3pkibp.mspx
>
> Troubleshooting Certificate Status and Revocation whitepaper:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/topics/crypto/tshtcrl.mspx
>
> Windows Server 2003 web enrollment and troubleshooting guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/webenroll.mspx
> "rodchar" <rodchar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hey all,
> >
> > i was wondering what the difference was between getting Verisign as an ssl
> > provider and setting up certificate services on a win 2000 server within
> > an
> > enterprise?
> >
> > thanks,
> > rodchar