CES '09: Charge Portable Devices Without Cords

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I guess I still don't see why this is needed. Why not have a universal charging station instead by your computer? I mean, how hard is it to drop a cell phone into a cradle, or move your wireless mouse up on a pad till it connects into a dock? Have we really become this lazy? I'm reminded of the movie "Walle" after reading about this. Forget walking, I want my bed to be able to transport me where ever I want to go by monitoring my eyelid movements. I refuse to exert extra effort by telling my bed where to take me with voice commands.

G

1- Expect all your metal pens, glasses, and tie-clips to be sucked to that Powermat! :)

2- They say magnetic radiation (in changing magnetic fields) can cause cancer.

3- It seems like the mat itself is pretty large,and the adaptors (white pads) must be heavy. If not they would vibrate on the mat, and make an annoying sound if the magnetic frequency is too low.

4- I agree with above. Often an AC adaptor and USB cable is provided with these digital 'toys' to charge battery. Why the need for having a third device?

G

I'm looking forward to trying the PowerMat for myself when it comes to market. No more cord clutter - sign me up!

G

This is an interesting concept! I am excited to learn more about the PowerMat when it comes out in the fall.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
This technology has been in development for awhile. I think we've been hearing about it for a number of years now. At least it's a tech that is coming to fruition. ProDigit you bring up a serious question. We already hit ourselves with electromagnetic radiation from all sides. Cell phones, cords, and anything else that isn't shielded with lead emits cancer onto us. Heck, I don't even like sleeping with my head near a wall outlet. There's iron in your blood. Iron + magnets = slight variations to cells? Who knows. One thing is for sure though, staring at a screen that's emitting radiation all day can have long term detrimental effects on one's eyes.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
it is safer than other wireless power technologies that broadcasts or beams power to device/s.
so, powermat's limitation, to place the device on the mat to charge.
still, we have to wait for devices that has a built-in power receiver.

G

[citation][nom]undefined[/nom]I'm looking forward to trying the PowerMat for myself when it comes to market. No more cord clutter - sign me up![/citation]
I wouldn't say "no cord"; there still are cords (from the PAD to the computer and the MAT to the poweroutlet).
It's just that they split up the adaptor.
The MAT has a primary adaptor, and the PAD has a secondary adaptor.

I guess systems like that use more electricity than regular adaptors (have a lower efficiency),and the only benefit they would have is that with one Primary Coil you can charge multiple products (which essentially would be the same as buying a powerful adaptor brick, and on the output place a splitter, to charge 2 laptops with the same voltage.

You're still limited by cables; even more, you need to take with you the PAD.

So I don't think this invention is going to get much of anywhere other then perhaps creating cheap childerentoys like a chopperstation with remote chopper.

G

The next step?
How about a PowerMat FOR the PowerMat itself, hun?
The sky is the limit, baby... :)

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Nikola Tesla invented a way to power devices remotely over 100 years ago. I can't believe it has taken this long for a product to come to market that does this.

oddity00

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
I have to agree with gmOn3y's comment, the forgotten wizard "Nikola Tesla". For his plans of wireless power. But looks like a cool device there, would like to get one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.