CES 2012 to Have Up to 50 Ultrabooks, 55" OLED TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I'm not sure if I want to know the price of the 55" OLED TV. It will just be one more thing I won't be able to afford when it comes out.

neokaer

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
"Samsung and LG Electronics will reportedly introduce 55-inch OLED TVs at CES 2012"

Finally, I just hope they're not like plasma TVs in their early days (price wise that is) and hoping that they are not 20k a pop.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
probably will be close to that at first until supply increases. I'd love to have an OLED tv. Been waiting for one since I got my Samsung Focus

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
oh, isn't 50 ultrabooks a lot? I assume that they mean 50 different models. I hope I'm wrong. One reason for apple's success is that they have one form factor (for the iPad as an example) and one manufacturer. 50 models sounds like way too much. maybe 10 might be better.

mrkdilkington

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Every damn year they announce a bigger OLED TV at CES, and yet we haven't seen a single one released in the states (besides the '07 Sony). They're just showing off prototypes for the sake of it with no intention of ever releasing them (besides on a small scale in Korea or a few EU countries). It's getting very annoying.

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
50 new ultrabooks? Maybe 2 ultrabooks with same model but different sized SSD count as 2.

OTOH, have they fixed the OLED burn in problem?

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]mcd023[/nom]oh, isn't 50 ultrabooks a lot? I assume that they mean 50 different models. I hope I'm wrong. One reason for apple's success is that they have one form factor (for the iPad as an example) and one manufacturer. 50 models sounds like way too much. maybe 10 might be better.[/citation]
more choice=more competition =lower prices=this is what we need!

wcooper007

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
The picture isnt an ultrabook and it sure as hell isnt asus garbage its a intel designed SP5101s,SP5101p built by gigabyte or some other company not sure which the other one is but its a great laptop just not a ultrabook

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Ooh, OLED tv's! Hopefully they'll drive down the prices of current TV's.

The best thing to happen to LED TV pricing was the launch of 3DTVs. Hasn't been a real new development since then.

weewoo87

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Best thing to happen to LCD TV prices were "LED" TV's. LED's do nothing for picture quality unless it is full-array and/or has local/precision dimming. Yet everyone pays more for LED backlit TV's without local dimming? The energy savings do not warrant the extra price tag.

Marketing at its best.

hannibal

Distinguished
55" Oled... 30k to 50k at least in the beginning. But it is good to see that they can manufacture now bigger Oleds, it may be possible to get smaller Oled even below 10k at no time...

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]pbrigido[/nom]I'm not sure if I want to know the price of the 55" OLED TV. It will just be one more thing I won't be able to afford when it comes out.[/citation]

last oled thing i saw was a 8 inch not even hd tv, that costed 6000$, it may have been 8000, but i think 6 is a safer bet.

that said, oled from my understanding is cheaper over all than lcd. this is what happens with minimal production runs.

now, give me the monitor for the pc that is 30 inch, 2560x1600, and not ball breakingly expensive.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]neokaer[/nom]"Samsung and LG Electronics will reportedly introduce 55-inch OLED TVs at CES 2012"Finally, I just hope they're not like plasma TVs in their early days (price wise that is) and hoping that they are not 20k a pop.[/citation]
Frankly, I think everyone interested in the tech hopes the same. There are some significant advances in OLED manufacturing tech in the works that if brought to market, will drop the price significantly, for instance, a tech from Dupont that allows OLED displays to be printed.
[citation][nom]mrkdilkington[/nom]Every damn year they announce a bigger OLED TV at CES, and yet we haven't seen a single one released in the states (besides the '07 Sony). They're just showing off prototypes for the sake of it with no intention of ever releasing them (besides on a small scale in Korea or a few EU countries). It's getting very annoying.[/citation]
LG is planning on releasing one to the market next year, 2012 that is, supposedly around mid-year.

Here's a link to more info about the 55s at CES[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]last oled thing i saw was a 8 inch not even hd tv, that costed 6000$, it may have been 8000, but i think 6 is a safer bet. that said, oled from my understanding is cheaper over all than lcd. this is what happens with minimal production runs. now, give me the monitor for the pc that is 30 inch, 2560x1600, and not ball breakingly expensive.[/citation]
Sony had an 11" consumer model the, XEL-1, on the market for a while that was $2,400. I saw one at a home theater retailer. The picture was very impressive, but way too small, IMHO.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]hannibal[/nom]55" Oled... 30k to 50k at least in the beginning. But it is good to see that they can manufacture now bigger Oleds, it may be possible to get smaller Oled even below 10k at no time...[/citation]
In my opinion, it would be suicide for a company to release one to the consumer market at that price. Hopefully, we will find out by the middle of next year, as LG has plans to bring their 55 to the market by then - assuming, of course, those plans pan out.

mrkdilkington

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]mcd023[/nom]what I'd really love to have would be an OLED monitor. That'd be perty, especially in wide gamut.[/citation]Why? I want 100% of the color gamut, no more, no less.

Status
Not open for further replies.