CES 2013: Nvidia CES Press Conference, Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

amoralman

Honorable
May 20, 2012
I have a feeling NVidia will drop R&D and go full blown mainstream (a.k.a. console...) omg this will suck please don't be that please please please

G

I'm waiting for the free cookie and a can of soda at the Nvidia "After Party"

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Am I suppose to sit on this article and refresh every few minutes for updates to it?[/citation]
You certainly don't have to :) Working with the site's technology as best as possible.

ultameca

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
@toxxel Seriously I want to thank you again, seeing Shield live was WAAYYY better than seeing some pics and text poop up every few min.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I'm starting to believe the end of the Desktop PC is near. I wonder which will adopt Ultra HD first, the PC or the mobile phone. Games are bound to one day be in Ultra HD. Give it 3 years for games. Until then, there won't be a point. Ultra HD Monitors/TVs won't be affordable until then.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I'm starting to believe the end of the Desktop PC is near. I wonder which will adopt Ultra HD first, the PC or the mobile phone. Games are bound to one day be in Ultra HD. Give it 3 years for games. Until then, there won't be a point. Ultra HD Monitors/TVs won't be affordable until then.[/citation]
Well, but this thing still depends on a PC (and a high-end one, at that) in order to offer its coolest feature. And even then, you have to ask, "will someone want to *not* use their GTX 680-equipped PC to play on a controller and 5" screen?"

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
http://shield.nvidia.com/

Just to answer your question, the screen is indeed 5" with a 720p resolution (and as the live stream showed it's multi-touch).

bobsmithsmith1

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Gaming in early 1990's: "high-end PC" + 17" screen (CRT);
Gaming in mid 1990's: "high-end PC" + 19" screen (CRT);
Gaming in late 1990's: "high-end PC" + 21" screen (LCD);

Gaming in early 2000's: high-end PC + 22" screen (LCD);
Gaming in mid 2000's: high-end PC + 24" screen (LED);
Gaming in late 2000's: high-end PC + 27" screen (LED);

Expected gaming experience on 2013: high-end PC + 42" OLED LCD screen (or multi-monitor)

Real-life Gaming in 2013: horrible joystick + 5" LCD screen?

Definitely something went wrong.

Never believed in NVidia. Never will.

G

So Nvidia are expecting me to buy their device after I've already forked out for a high-end gaming rig so I can play a game on a 5" screen .... give me a second to check my calendar .... have I been stuck in a time-warp and it's April 1st already?

What they are doing is cool and it's definately exploiting some serious technological performance advances, but the suggested application is, frankly, ridiculous assuming the required network bandwidth is even available to the masses. You get the feeling that Nvidia just felt obliged to announce something aside from some new silicon, which they're almost obliged to do anyway (since they have share holders) but this is just crazy. Sometimes it's better to say nothing and let people think you're an idiot than to say something and remove all doubt.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
I don't believe any of the BS marketing crap they say, I'll wait for benchmarks and real world tests, won't be fooled again like I was with Tegra3.

And notice for the browser comparison they used Chrome on the Nexus 10 and the stock jelly bean browser for Tegra4. Well played, Nvidia. Google's dogshit slow chrome browser for Android is quite a marketing strategy indeed.

G

[citation][nom]Bloob[/nom]I think it is pretty safe to say now that no next-gen console will use nVidia graphics..[/citation]

I gotta be honest, even if their gfx cards are good, I'm really having second thoughts about spending money on products from a company with such a warped view of reality. I just can't get my head around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.