CES 2017: Highlights From January 4 Include VR, AR, And XR

Status
Not open for further replies.
ASUS made a solid looking phone, then they committed the unforgivable sin: they skinned it.

Barring ROM devs like CM, nobody has yet done Android better than Google. Just stop. The OEMs don't get it - their interfaces are confusing trash vs. vanilla Android, and they add very little of use.

This has made finding a good phone really, really hard....

Actually, I have used both "stock" android (lollipop to be more specific) and ZenUI (both lollipop and marhsmallow), and I would chose ZenUI any time, no hesitation.
With stock android I had to download third party apps to have that level of confort, everything the way I liked it, and shortcuts where I needed them. With ZenUI I have everything ready, and can customize everything (no third party app needed). So I guess it's pretty much up to subjective opinion...

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Canadianvice, Google don't even use stock Android themselves on the Pixel phone. It's a custom ROM with exclusive software features. Why? Because selling a phone that works exactly like the competitor's phone is doomed to fail. What's the selling point? A different logo on the back? The reason Samsung dominates on smartphones is because they've never been afraid to do their own thing.

You seriously think it's their alterations to Android that pushed them ahead? Samsung is in the lead for a few reasons.

- They do make some of the highest spec phones
- They're a recognized brand name
- People are easily won by big numbers. You could practically destroy android and as long as texting, fb, and photos were acceptable, you'd sell like hotcakes.

Their interface is still bad. There's no two ways about it. I've got their Tab A, touchwiz is laggy and I absolutely hate it interface-wise. However, without root I'm still stuck with a bunch of their garbage regardless of apps to paint over.

@TheRealDuckofDeath - Perhaps I should elaborate. I consider skinned to be significantly deviated from Android, as is Sense or Touchwiz or ZenUI. When I refer to a "pure" Android experience, I'm referring to Motorola, Google, and similar manus who make extremely small adjustment to the overall Rom. For all intents and purposes, Google does not deviate in any meaningful way from Android. They have a few of their own apps, but that's fine, those can always be removed with root. Moto isn't stock either, but I doubt anyone would call them to mind as a skinned rom.

The problem is when you alter the actual OS underpinnings so much that you can't use something like xposed. It takes choice away from the consumers, and considering it's the positive addition of effort to make an inferior skin for most of these OEMs, it's nonsensical.

Either way, I'll crusade to my dying day to make sub-1080 and skinning a capital crime.

I have also tried (not owned) Samsung phones, and I really disliked it. It felt like it turned a $600 phone into a $300 one. Still worked relatively fine, but with that kind of hardware it should have been a lot better.
Now I'm on a $200 phone that gives me a smoother experience than that with Samsung (although I admit that I have experienced some glitches now and then, so stability might not be perfect, but I believe that its x86 processor is to blame).

Status
Not open for further replies.