Cessna 172 view from the cockpit Q.

Hi All,
I have recently purchased Flight 1's Cessna 172 and I'm having a great
time with it. One question I have for pilots that have flown the real thing,
is can you see the engine fairing from within the cockpit when flying or is
it obscured from view by the control panel. I'm asking this because I have
flown a real C152 and the first thing that struck me compared with the early
FS version is that you had a good view of the engine fairing.
Currently I raise the eye level in the 172 so that I can see the fairing a
little. Is this realistic? Or is the fairing completely obscured?

Thanks
RobP

"ROBERT POLLARD" <RobertAPollard@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> I have recently purchased Flight 1's Cessna 172 and I'm having a great
> time with it. One question I have for pilots that have flown the real
thing,
> is can you see the engine fairing from within the cockpit when flying or
is
> it obscured from view by the control panel. I'm asking this because I have
> flown a real C152 and the first thing that struck me compared with the
early
> FS version is that you had a good view of the engine fairing.
> Currently I raise the eye level in the 172 so that I can see the fairing a
> little. Is this realistic? Or is the fairing completely obscured?

I don't recall seeing the fairing when I flew C-172's but my focus was
usualy a lot further away than that. The default view height does seem a
little low and narrow though. You can raise it with shift+return, lower it
with shift+backspace (I think). I tend to prefer using the virtual view,
and redcing the scale one step to 75% (with minus key).

Si

Thanks Si,
I guess the 172 has a higher panel than the 152. I think I will try it at
75% and see how it goes.

Thanks
RobP

"Simon Robbins" <simon@NOSPAMsjrobbins.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> "ROBERT POLLARD" <RobertAPollard@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>> I have recently purchased Flight 1's Cessna 172 and I'm having a great
>> time with it. One question I have for pilots that have flown the real
> thing,
>> is can you see the engine fairing from within the cockpit when flying or
> is
>> it obscured from view by the control panel. I'm asking this because I
>> have
>> flown a real C152 and the first thing that struck me compared with the
> early
>> FS version is that you had a good view of the engine fairing.
>> Currently I raise the eye level in the 172 so that I can see the fairing
>> little. Is this realistic? Or is the fairing completely obscured?
>
> I don't recall seeing the fairing when I flew C-172's but my focus was
> usualy a lot further away than that. The default view height does seem a
> little low and narrow though. You can raise it with shift+return, lower
> it
> with shift+backspace (I think). I tend to prefer using the virtual view,
> and redcing the scale one step to 75% (with minus key).
>
> Si

I can usually see a bit of the forward cowl when flying the 172 but not a
whole lot of it. Im also fairly tall which could be a factor.

> Thanks Si,
> I guess the 172 has a higher panel than the 152. I think I will try it at
> 75% and see how it goes.
>
> Thanks
> RobP
>
> "Simon Robbins" <simon@NOSPAMsjrobbins.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> "ROBERT POLLARD" <RobertAPollard@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Hi All,
>>> I have recently purchased Flight 1's Cessna 172 and I'm having a great
>>> time with it. One question I have for pilots that have flown the real
>> thing,
>>> is can you see the engine fairing from within the cockpit when flying or
>> is
>>> it obscured from view by the control panel. I'm asking this because I
>>> have
>>> flown a real C152 and the first thing that struck me compared with the
>> early
>>> FS version is that you had a good view of the engine fairing.
>>> Currently I raise the eye level in the 172 so that I can see the fairing
>>> little. Is this realistic? Or is the fairing completely obscured?
>>
>> I don't recall seeing the fairing when I flew C-172's but my focus was
>> usualy a lot further away than that. The default view height does seem a
>> little low and narrow though. You can raise it with shift+return, lower
>> it
>> with shift+backspace (I think). I tend to prefer using the virtual view,
>> and redcing the scale one step to 75% (with minus key).
>>
>> Si

Rob,
It depends on how high that you raise the seat, even in the real 172.
When I fly a real C172, I like to raise the seat high enough so that I can
get a good view of the area directly in front of the aircrafts nose, yet not
so high that my head is hitting the top of the cabin roof. In FS9, I have
found that hitting [SHIFT]+{ENTER} 4 or 5 times seems to look about like it
does in the real airplane. The problem with this though in FS9, is that at
that seat height, I find it difficult to look out the left cockpit door
window because then the seat is too high! Its not like that in the real 172
that I fly. Plus, at that height, if you look staright backwards in FS9 over
the seat(s), you will notice that some of the cabin above the back seats has
disappeared.

Randy L.

"ROBERT POLLARD" <RobertAPollard@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> I have recently purchased Flight 1's Cessna 172 and I'm having a great
> time with it. One question I have for pilots that have flown the real
> thing, is can you see the engine fairing from within the cockpit when
> flying or is it obscured from view by the control panel. I'm asking this
> because I have flown a real C152 and the first thing that struck me
> compared with the early FS version is that you had a good view of the
> engine fairing.
> Currently I raise the eye level in the 172 so that I can see the fairing a
> little. Is this realistic? Or is the fairing completely obscured?
>
> Thanks
> RobP

Plus, at that height, if you look staright backwards in FS9 over
> the seat(s), you will notice that some of the cabin above the back seats
> has disappeared.

not in the flight1 C172R ;)