Status
Not open for further replies.

chr1s984

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2014
I need some help buying a chair, now I'm not the slimmest of people by any means and I seem to keep breaking them- I have habit of leaning to one side and breaking the chairs. Can any one recommend a heavy duty chair please?

Reactions: Benjamin22044

Benjamin22044

Great
BANNED
Aug 17, 2020
If you want the ultimate comfort of a recliner with some massage, I would suggest you to go for a massage chair which are doing really great in the market currently. There are various good brand offering these and you can go for any of them.

Reactions: chr1s984
I need some help buying a chair, now I'm not the slimmest of people by any means and I seem to keep breaking them- I have habit of leaning to one side and breaking the chairs. Can any one recommend a heavy duty chair please?

Are you talking about a computer chair or a chair in general? Secretlabs and Respawn make pretty good quality chairs for large frames. https://secretlab.co/collections/all Titan and Titan XL have higher weight limits.

Ralston18

Titan
What is your budget?

For the most part, good quality, long lasting chairs cost money.

3 to 4 times the run of the mill big box store products often placed on sale.

I have an older version of this chair from Staples:

https://www.staples.com/Staples-Hyken-Technical-Mesh-Task-Chair-Red/product_2257054

Has held up very well for quite a number of years. I am slim so the chair is not stressed by that per se. Held up to younger family members who doubled up in the chair and could be a bit rough therein.

However, overall, my suggestion is that you to go to as many stores as safely and socially distanced as you can and actually try chairs. Likewise try chairs at work, family, friends.

Bear in mind that selections are likely limited with many more people working from home and needing chairs. Plus Covid-19 related shortages in manufacturing and delivery. Many places simply trying to sell off existing stock as much as possible. Orders for other specific models, colors, etc. may take quite some time until actual delivery.

Sit in the chairs and try movements and adjustments. See what works for you. Lean the way you lean - if the chair tilts or feels as if going off balance - skip it.

Once you have found 2 or 3 chairs you like take a look at how well they are made. Generally you can see the problems with the low end models. Flimsy, poorly fitted together, etc.. Floor models often show wear and tear very quickly.

Look for product reviews. Read the warranties. Look for lots of reviews and what people say and/or comment on. Especially complaints. Your use of the chair may result in similar problems or issues.

Also determine if the chair comes assembled or if you will have to do that assembly yourself with or without help. Or pay for assembly.

If the latter be very careful there. Have seen too many cases of improper assembly and/or damage when store staff do such things. Even on floor model stuff. You may not find out until you get the chair home and discover a stripped screw or other problem.

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
I went through the chair thing years ago. After around 6 of the big box store 200 dollar chair fails I went with a twice as expensive "gaming" chair in a big guy size(I am 6'1" and 260lbs).
Was it worth it? Yes, but 7 years later it is starting to fail in several ways mechanically and cosmetically.
I have had my eye on the Herman Miller Aeron for the last couple of months and I am just about ready to buy the refurb version from a reputable retailer, it is still not cheap, but I will never go back to the office max/depot/staples/big box merry-go-round of bad quality chairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS