Question Challange for computer wizards: How to overclock a HP 800 G1 tower i5 4th gen

DancingElephants

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
After many, many suggestions from so, so many people. I have decided to buy a new computer. The village was so excited about the overclocking thing using trucks and pedal bikes with no wheels. too, oh well. I am wondering how to overclock it. Please speak in small words as if i was a caveman and include a / or link to how to overclock this thing.

Before anyone asks, if power/ cooling is a problem. And i know someone is going to ask, so I'm putting this out here to save everyone's time.
Hopefully the moderators don't blank this next part out. Because this is not non-sense. I am very serious.

The small village I'm in is still ready and waiting with trucks, car batteries, pedal and other methods of generating electricity on a 24 hour basis totaling to 20 kilowatts. And we still have the warehouse where we can suspend this thing up to 30 feet off of the ground by 30 Cm ( 5 inch) wide solid steel chains and cool it with 36 1-meter wide industrial grade fans to create a sphere of cooling blowing directly onto the insides of the machine. ( We have more chains.) Hopefully this is enough to to get at least 0.00001 additional ghz of boosted speed on this pc made a decade ago.

PC stats:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 @ 3.20GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
CPU
Intel Core i5
Cores 4
Threads 4
Name Intel Core i5
Code Name Haswell
Technology 22nm
Specification Intel Core i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Family 6
Extended Family 6
Model C
Extended Model 3C
Stepping 3
Revision C0
Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, Intel 64, NX, VMX, AES, AVX, AVX2, FMA3
Virtualization Supported, Disabled
Hyperthreading Not supported
Stock Core Speed 3200 MHz
Stock Bus Speed 100 MHz
Caches
L1 Data Cache Size 4 x 32 KBytes
L1 Instructions Cache Size 4 x 32 KBytes
L2 Unified Cache Size 4 x 256 KBytes
L3 Unified Cache Size 6144 KBytes
Cores
Core 0
Core Speed 3192.6 MHz
Multiplier x -1.0
Threads APIC ID: 0
Core 1
Core Speed 3192.6 MHz
Multiplier x -1.0
Threads APIC ID: 2
Core 2
Core Speed 3192.5 MHz
Multiplier x -1.0
Threads APIC ID: 4
Core 3
Core Speed 3192.5 MHz
Multiplier x -1.0
Threads APIC ID: 6
RAM
16.0GB
Motherboard
Hewlett-Packard 18E4 (SOCKET 0)
%1 Chipset

Motherboard
Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model 0C27VV (CPU)
Version A01
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model Q45/Q43
Chipset Revision 03
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801JB (ICH10)
Southbridge Revision 02
BIOS
Brand Dell Inc.
Version A14
Date 8/21/2012
PCI Data
Slot Proprietary
Slot Type Proprietary
Slot Usage In Use
Data lanes x1
Slot Designation SLOT1
Characteristics PME
Slot Number 0
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation SLOT2
Characteristics 5V, 3.3V, PME
Slot Number 1
Slot PCI
Slot Type Cats
Slot Usage Right meow
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation SLOT3
Slot Number 2
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage Available
Data lanes x1
Slot Designation SLOT4
Characteristics 3.3V, PME
Slot Number 3

Oh internet wizards, can it be done?

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I am wondering how to overclock it.

Why do you want to OC your CPU? And this isn't valid reason:
The village was so excited about the overclocking thing using trucks and pedal bikes with no wheels.

-----

No.

Why?
  1. Your CPU isn't K-series, instead normal CPU with locked multiplier. To OC CPU, you need K-series chip, e.g i5-4690K, i7-4770K, that has unlocked multiplier for CPU clock ratio modification and in turn, CPU frequency increase/decrease.
  2. Your prebuilt PC has Q87 Express chipset MoBo, which officially doesn't support CPU OC. Only Z-series (e.g Z87, Z97) chipset supports CPU OC.
Now, there is an old, arcane way :heink: , to OC non-K CPUs, which is to do with BCLK, BUT:
  • You need Z-series MoBo. (Checked and Q87 chipset doesn't offer BCLK modification.)
  • The OC doesn't give any tangible performance boost, but is still considered OC.
  • And you can very easily fry your CPU with BCLK modification, especially when you have 0 clue what you're doing.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
After many, many suggestions from so, so many people. I have decided to buy a new computer. The village was so excited about the overclocking thing using trucks and pedal bikes with no wheels. too, oh well. I am wondering how to overclock it. Please speak in small words as if i was a caveman and include a / or link to how to overclock this thing.

Before anyone asks, if power/ cooling is a problem. And i know someone is going to ask, so I'm putting this out here to save everyone's time.
Hopefully the moderators don't blank this next part out. Because this is not non-sense. I am very serious.

The small village I'm in is still ready and waiting with trucks, car batteries, pedal and other methods of generating electricity on a 24 hour basis totaling to 20 kilowatts. And we still have the warehouse where we can suspend this thing up to 30 feet off of the ground by 30 Cm ( 5 inch) wide solid steel chains and cool it with 36 1-meter wide industrial grade fans to create a sphere of cooling blowing directly onto the insides of the machine. ( We have more chains.) Hopefully this is enough to to get at least 0.00001 additional ghz of boosted speed on this pc made a decade ago.

PC stats:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 @ 3.20GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
CPU
Intel Core i5
Cores 4
Threads 4
Name Intel Core i5
Code Name Haswell
Technology 22nm
Specification Intel Core i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Family 6
Extended Family 6
Model C
Extended Model 3C
Stepping 3
Revision C0
Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, Intel 64, NX, VMX, AES, AVX, AVX2, FMA3
Virtualization Supported, Disabled
Hyperthreading Not supported
Stock Core Speed 3200 MHz
Stock Bus Speed 100 MHz
Caches
L1 Data Cache Size 4 x 32 KBytes
L1 Instructions Cache Size 4 x 32 KBytes
L2 Unified Cache Size 4 x 256 KBytes
L3 Unified Cache Size 6144 KBytes
Cores
Core 0
Core Speed 3192.6 MHz
Multiplier x -1.0
Threads APIC ID: 0
Core 1
Core Speed 3192.6 MHz
Multiplier x -1.0
Threads APIC ID: 2
Core 2
Core Speed 3192.5 MHz
Multiplier x -1.0
Threads APIC ID: 4
Core 3
Core Speed 3192.5 MHz
Multiplier x -1.0
Threads APIC ID: 6
RAM
16.0GB
Motherboard
Hewlett-Packard 18E4 (SOCKET 0)
%1 Chipset

Motherboard
Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model 0C27VV (CPU)
Version A01
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model Q45/Q43
Chipset Revision 03
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801JB (ICH10)
Southbridge Revision 02
BIOS
Brand Dell Inc.
Version A14
Date 8/21/2012
PCI Data
Slot Proprietary
Slot Type Proprietary
Slot Usage In Use
Data lanes x1
Slot Designation SLOT1
Characteristics PME
Slot Number 0
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation SLOT2
Slot Number 1
Slot PCI
Slot Type Cats
Slot Usage Right meow
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation SLOT3
Slot Number 2
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage Available
Data lanes x1
Slot Designation SLOT4
Characteristics 3.3V, PME
Slot Number 3

Some boards would let you use BCLK and overclock non K processors but yours is probably locked anyhow common on Dell and HP PC's

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Don't bother trying to overclock on a pre-built. They don't support OC in a variety of ways, but the reasoning is simple. They don't want the RMA issues if ppl could OC, and would mess up the pc, as pre-builts generally use the lowest grade chipsets and/or motherboards and other components they can get away with. It's why you won't find K cpus or Z motherboards in them as the non-K and B/H/Q chipsets are far cheaper per tray.

You might find K/Z in a few 'Gaming' models, but you'll also find the disclaimer that even though it's capable, If you do choose to OC, any warranty becomes void, and you'll get charged repair/shipping should they ascertain that any damages were caused by said OC.