Chance of an H100i leaking?

ixkobexi

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
I'm really switching on and off about getting an H100i. I see all of these threads on Corsair's forums that say that people have had an H100i and it leak in the first few days/months. What are the chances of it leaking? Is there anything I can do to prevent leaks? I am thinking about getting the Noctua NH-D14, but honestly, it looks pretty ridiculous. Has anyone had it for over a year and it is still running strong? Thanks!

STACKS ON DECK

Distinguished
there were some manufacturing issues with this one cause it has large radiator so that the liquid pressure cause it to leak and also the ends of the pipes if twisted more the normal . . but now the problem is slowly resolving. . for any king of liquid cooler just don't twist the pipes too much

menetlaus

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
There is always a chance for water to leak, ALWAYS!

Unless of course you don't use a water based cooling system.

For my $0.02, the only good thing about the low end watercooling kits (for the average home user/gamer) is the bragging rights you get because you can say you have watercooling. I say this because for similar money you can get a high end (air) heatsink with similar cooling performance.

If the fan on an air heatsink fails - you still get decent passive cooling performance due to the mass of the heatsink/fans/heat pipes.

If the pump on a water system fails - you don't hear it, don't (usually) get a slow fan warning from the bios, and with so little water sitting in the waterblock on the CPU - it overheats in no time and has awful 'passive' performance.

As I said, only my $0.02... I know there are many here who think the cheap watercooling kits are the best thing in the world for home users, but I'm clearly not one of em ;)