[SOLVED] Chances of getting a 10900X to 5GHZ+ with a 560MM Radiator?

brennan1452

Prominent
Mar 28, 2019
The title pretty much says it all, should I expect to be able to overclock a 10900X to 5GHZ or higher with a 560MM Radiator?

Also, can someone explain to me why on intel's website, the Turbo Boost Max clock speed on the 10940X is higher than on the 10900X? I would expect with 4 more cores the speed would be lower...

Would I have better chances at getting to 5GHZ with the 10940X than the 10900X?

Solution
The 10940x is a higher binned HEDT chip, so an extra 100mhz and four extra cores is what an extra 500 bucks gets you, BUT, keep in mind, just because it lists a higher maximum boost clock does not mean that it can SUSTAIN that maximum boost clock for a longer or even same amount of time as the 10900x can sustain it's boost clocks for. I'm not saying it can't, but there is always more to the story than what you are seeing on paper or in specs.

No, you would probably have a MUCH harder time getting to 5Ghz with the 10940x than the 10900x, UNLESS you disabled four cores on the 10940x in which case you would probably have an easier time of gaining 5Ghz simply because it is a higher binned chip. That is not, however, worth an extra 500...
The 10940x is a higher binned HEDT chip, so an extra 100mhz and four extra cores is what an extra 500 bucks gets you, BUT, keep in mind, just because it lists a higher maximum boost clock does not mean that it can SUSTAIN that maximum boost clock for a longer or even same amount of time as the 10900x can sustain it's boost clocks for. I'm not saying it can't, but there is always more to the story than what you are seeing on paper or in specs.

No, you would probably have a MUCH harder time getting to 5Ghz with the 10940x than the 10900x, UNLESS you disabled four cores on the 10940x in which case you would probably have an easier time of gaining 5Ghz simply because it is a higher binned chip. That is not, however, worth an extra 500 dollars in my book.

And if this system is for gaming, then the 9900k makes a lot more sense and most reviews show better gaming performance from the consumer stack than from the HEDT models. Obviously, if this is for productivity or other non-gaming tasks, then it probably depends on what exactly you are doing but then you are getting into 3950x or TR territory as the performance per dollar is much better.

I don't think the size of the radiator is going to have much to do with it. Most reviews showed trouble getting past 4.8Ghz, even with exemplary cooling and the best of motherboards.

Reactions: Karadjgne
Solution

brennan1452

Prominent
Mar 28, 2019

No, you would probably have a MUCH harder time getting to 5Ghz with the 10940x than the 10900x, UNLESS you disabled four cores on the 10940x in which case you would probably have an easier time of gaining 5Ghz simply because it is a higher binned chip. That is not, however, worth an extra 500 dollars in my book.

And if this system is for gaming, then the 9900k makes a lot more sense and most reviews show better gaming performance from the consumer stack than from the HEDT models. Obviously, if this is for productivity or other non-gaming tasks, then it probably depends on what exactly you are doing but then you are getting into 3950x or TR territory as the performance per dollar is much better.

I don't think the size of the radiator is going to have much to do with it. Most reviews showed trouble getting past 4.8Ghz, even with exemplary cooling and the best of motherboards.

Thanks for the info, In your opinion what is the best CPU I could get on LGA2066 for gaming purposes?

To be honest, I wouldn't recommend an LGA 2066 CPU for gaming. But if you already have the motherboard, so a different platform isn't an option, then I'd probably recommend the 10900x with hyperthreading turned off and custom loop with highest stable overclock you can configure. There are really no games that are going to benefit from more than 10 cores or threads anyhow, so unless you are also planning to record, stream, encode, etc., while gaming, or performing other high intensity simultaneous multitasking, then there isn't much point in lowering your ceiling both thermally and as it regards stability, by leaving hyperthreading enabled.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Oh, I know, just that you mentioned the 9900k as a better option for just pure gaming. I'm of the thought the 10th Gen is a better option, better value.

HEDT cpus are all about power. I'm talking weightlifter kind of power. Made for massive amounts of computations and calculations. The workhorse cpus. Not exactly designed to be thoroughbreds.

You could try and get 5GHz, but chances are better than good you'll be topping out at 4.7-4.8GHz unless you get lucky with a Golden Chip or and can drop voltages like nobodies business.

You'll also need a serious board. That many cores at that kind of speed is a lot on the VRM's, board choice can be crucial.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS