chances of gpu doa and/or damaging motherboard during an upgrade?

Jun 2, 2018
hello community, recently bought a gpu and an hdd to upgrade my main and only working ring, was wondering what are the chances of sth going wrong and destroying the whole pc during the process? is esd damage real?i touched the gpu without discharging my hands will it work?please share your knowledge and experience

mobo: gigabyte ga 78lmt usb 3.0 rev 6.0

cpu: fx 8300

psu: thermaltake 630w 88+

ram: 8gb Kingston value ram

hdd: wd 1tb green 5400rpm

replacement hdd: wd 1tb blue 5400rpm

ssd: Kingston 240gb uv400

current gpu: amd saphire r7 240 2gb ddr3

replacement gpu: nvidia zotac gt 1030 2gb ddr5

recently bought a gpu and an hdd to upgrade my main and only working ring
Can you list the PC specifications? Keep in mind if you bought the powerful GPU, usually you need to check what PSU you had, in case the PSU can't handle the new GPU. Or you upgraded the GPU for your OEM PC with win8/10, you may or may not have problem too. So you always post the specifications, and we can take a look for you.

Jun 2, 2018
for example when some new working gpus are added to certain mobos they fry them or they give the error late cpu initialization for no reason and cause permanent damage.

was wondering what are the chances of sth going wrong and destroying the whole pc during the process?
If you are doning carefully, you will not kill anythings. But eg. if you bent the pciex16 slot, you can kill the MB or GPU.
is esd damage real?
Yes, it is real. But only for the part, not the whole PC.
i touched the gpu without discharging my hands will it work?
If it is the dry winter, you may have problem, also it depends on person to person.

So usually put the PC on wood floor to work with it, or table. Discharging your hands? Yes, it is nice, but if you forget it, don't worry about, because it is not necessary.

Recommend to read more about ESD online.