Question change 16GB 3000mhz to 3600mhz or add them together?

jinqty

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
Hello, It's been years since I made a post. I hope you guys are doing well. I have a situation that I've never had before. I usually buy and replace my memory but in this case, I currently have 16GB 3000mhz cl15, and I just bought an additional 16GB but this time it's 3600mhz cl18. Should I use my new memory along with my old one? or should I just replace them?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I am not sure I would attempt to use those together, specifically if it's an AMD system.

If you prefer to use them all together, I would suggest downloading CPU-Z. Take a look at the timings table for one set of the memory and notate them all. Turn off any XMP profile and reboot, verify operation, power down. Remove the old sticks, insert new, boot to see if it will. Utilize CPU-Z again to notate the timings. See if both of them intersect at some speed/latency. If not, it's highly likely that the system will only run them at the lowest common speed and latency, if it boots at all.

It can be quite chancy to utilize even same spec and brand of RAM in separate kits much less to do so with different timings. IME Intel has a better success rate using mismatched kits. Just the same, you likely could end up with more capacity, but significantly slower timings. Given the latency of the newer kit, even in consideration of its faster speed, it could still be a wash with one kit or the other.

Reactions: jinqty
Hello, It's been years since I made a post. I hope you guys are doing well. I have a situation that I've never had before. I usually buy and replace my memory but in this case, I currently have 16GB 3000mhz cl15, and I just bought an additional 16GB but this time it's 3600mhz cl18. Should I use my new memory along with my old one? or should I just replace them?
I suspect if you test with the 3000 and get some numbers and then replace with the 3600 and retest you won't see much of a diff.

If you need 32GB of ram then install both and retest see what happens to the numbers.

Should I use my new memory along with my old one? or should I just replace them?
you could install both with little to none issue, except running the desired speed, for 3000mhz, i bet the 3600mhz ram will do perfectly fine since it's binned higher than the 3000 ones. but running 3000mhz at 3600 will be very PITA espescially if you dont understand on OC ing the rams, or even willing to. If you need both capacity and speed, dump all, go for 2x16gb or 4x8gb (depends on your situation) kits at your desired speed.