Change a 32bit system to a 64bit system?

fferree

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Is there anyone very familiar with Vista Home Premium 32bit and 64bit systems? I ordered a new system disk for my new Gateway to have access to all my drivers if I should have to reinstall the system or repair it. I believe it came with 2 disks, one with 32bit drivers and one with 64 bit drivers. Can I use the 64bit disk to switch to a 64bit system by doing a clean install with the 64bit drivers? This is an OEM system disk.

Going from 32 bit to 64 bit requires a clean install of the operating system.

Which Gateway did you order? The reason I ask is because the last time I checked, all Gateway desktops (and most of their laptops) were already 64 bit.

-----------------------------------

Install the x64......the only problem is that is more difficult for drivers and programs...but is some stuff is more better that the 32 bits

Jonmor68

Distinguished

Go to Control panel / System to check if you have 32 or 64 bit installed.
If you have 32bit you will need a 64bit Vista instalation disk, not just the driver disk if the disks you got have the full OEM instalation you are good to go.
Remember to backup all your data as you will need to do a clean install.
If you have any periphials such as printers, scanners etc; you will need 64bit drivers for them as well possibly the software that came with them.
Good luck.

fferree

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Thank you. I did also have a retail Vista on my second computer and ordered the Vista Home Premium 64bit disk for $10.55 from Microsoft. I am waiting for an ASUS M4A78PRO motherboard and memory to set up a different system.