Question Change AC adaptor on router and switch to standard plug

shutterguy

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
I have a CyberPower 1500VA UPS/Battery Backup unit, I would like to plug my Netgear switch and router into the outlets on the unit for the battery + surge. Problem is the AC adaptors for both of them are large rectangle shape and take up a lot room for the plugs. Is there any way to convert those adaptors to standard 2 or 3 prong plugs?

plug them into a power strip and plug the strip into the ups. They also make some silly 1ft long extension cord things but a power strip is cheaper. I have been doing this for a while for exactly the issue you state. Seems none of the power blocks have the same shape. Some block vertically and other will block horizontally.

Reactions: shutterguy

Ralston18

Titan
Not without putting safety at risk.

Should not be done.

And I also suggest that the plan be reconsidered.

A UPS is intended, for the most part to provide power to hosted devices when service power to your location is lost.

The UPS should be sized to provide just enough power and time to gracefully shut down the supported computer and its' monitor.

Plus UPS manufacturers do not recommend the use of surge protectors, power strips, and so forth with a UPS.

Most likely a general power outage will involve the loss of local internet service anyway making the router and switch moot.

Another issue could be that a ground loop would be created - ground loops can cause all sorts of problems.

Reactions: shutterguy