Change Active Screen Resolution

Ridikis

Reputable
Sep 15, 2016
So I have two monitors, a new one for 4k gaming and a little one for watching YouTube videos and searching Wikipedia while gaming. And I just got a new graphics card, with a VGA-DVID adapter cable to continue using my little monitor. When I started everything up, it all worked fine. Then I noticed my resolution was looking a bit weird on my small monitor, so went to change it, accidentally clicked on 1920x1080 (which it REALLY can't handle) and clicked don't save. NOW, my small monitor is stuck on a black screen. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers, I've booted in safe mode, I've done everything I can possibly find online. When I booted it in safe mode, the large monitor was black screened but the small one worked fine, showing that there's nothing actually wrong with the monitor itself but something software related. Then I looked at advanced display settings and noticed that the 'active screen resolution' is stuck on 1920x1080 while the 'desktop resolution' is on whatever I set it to.
r0q2Xio.png

Now if anyone can PLEASE tell me how to change the active screen resolution to be something my monitor can handle I will love you forever.

Solution
So when you change the resolution in windows display settings, what exactly happens? Does it act like it works (and the settings is persistent), but the monitor still fails to display anything?

You can also try clicking on "display adapter properties for display 2". Then click "list all mode" and then select 1920x1080 60 Hz.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
So when you change the resolution in windows display settings, what exactly happens? Does it act like it works (and the settings is persistent), but the monitor still fails to display anything?

You can also try clicking on "display adapter properties for display 2". Then click "list all mode" and then select 1920x1080 60 Hz.

Solution

Ridikis

Reputable
Sep 15, 2016
Whenever I try to change the resolution, nothing changes on the monitor. Also whenever I select 'display adapter properties for display 2', nothing happens. Nothing happens when I try for 'display 1' either.

Edit: Tried selecting those options again and it let me edit it, not sure why it wasn't working earlier. Might've been because the computer had just been restarted, everything's back to normal now thank you