[SOLVED] Change CPU Cooler or thermal paste

Dec 16, 2019
i currently have a CM X Dream i117 cooling my CPU (i5 6600 non K) , but since this summer , my CPU Temps were really high , running at 90-100°C even when idling
So knowing that shipping prices are always the same and that i don't have any PC hardware stores nearby , Should I :
1- Buy a new CPU cooler ( Thinking about a CM Hyper 410R) , it maybe overkill but my options are very very limited
2- Get new thermal paste that will cost me 1/8th the price of the cooler and keep the one I have ( My PC is 3 years old and i haven't changed it since i got it)

CPU Temps (Not under load)

Solution
Your high idle temperature tells me your cooler is not mounted well.
The cooler is comparable to the intel stock pushpin cooler.
Not the best, but you should be able to run at 10-15c. over ambient at idle.

Give a try to remounting the cooler.
Buy some thermal paste; you can't reuse what is already applied.
Most any will do.
Run the pc a bit to heat up the processor before shutting down.
That softens the paste, making it easy to remove the cooler.
Clean off the old paste with alcohol. Use a lint free paper like a coffee filter to remove the old paste.

Play with the pushpins so you can see how they work.
Reset the pins for insertion.

Put a small rice sized drop of paste in the center.
It will spread out without air bubbles when under...
i currently have a CM X Dream i117 cooling my CPU (i5 6600 non K) , but since this summer , my CPU Temps were really high , running at 90-100°C even when idling
So knowing that shipping prices are always the same and that i don't have any PC hardware stores nearby , Should I :
1- Buy a new CPU cooler ( Thinking about a CM Hyper 410R) , it maybe overkill but my options are very very limited
2- Get new thermal paste that will cost me 1/8th the price of the cooler and keep the one I have ( My PC is 3 years old and i haven't changed it since i got it)

CPU Temps (Not under load)
What size is your computer case? If the case will fit a 150MM tall cooler, I would get a Deepcool GAMMAXX 400, because it's more than double the cooling capacity of your current cooler. You can usually get them for very cheap, under $23 US.

Reactions: RodroX
Dec 16, 2019
What size is your computer case? If the case will fit a 150MM tall cooler, I would get a Deepcool GAMMAXX 400, because it's more than double the cooling capacity of your current cooler. You can usually get them for very cheap, under $23 US.
it's 45.7 x 21.2 x 49.2 cm but as i said , my choices are very very limited , the best one i can afford is the CM Hyper 410r which should be a really nice upgrade and has pretty much the same price as the one you recommend ,

Most any will do.
Clean off the old paste with alcohol. Use a lint free paper like a coffee filter to remove the old paste.

It will spread out without air bubbles when under heat and pressure.
Too much is not good. It is hard to use too little.

Orient the 4 pins so that they are exactly over the motherboard holes.
If one is out of place, you will damage the pins which are delicate.
Push down on a DIAGONAL pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.
If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on level.

When you push down on the top black pins, it expands the white plastic pins to fix the cooler in place.

If you can, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are through and locked.

Does your case have adequate air intake capability to give the cooler the air it needs to do the job?
Take the case covers off and see if that helps. If it makes a big difference, look to case cooling solutions.

Lastly, the H410r is not a great replacement.
A tower type cooler is better than a top down cooler, but the H410r still has the same 92mm fan
If you are going to replace the cooler, look for a tower type cooler with a 120mm fan or larger.

Reactions: RodroX
Solution
Well it may be the same price as the Gammax 400 but it will be an inferior upgrade over your current cooler.

Think of it like this, your current cooler and the H410R weights about the same, so don't expect a miracle.

And yes applying new thermal paste may help (something like Arctic Cooling MX-4).

Dec 16, 2019

Most any will do.

It will spread out without air bubbles when under heat and pressure.
Too much is not good. It is hard to use too little.

Orient the 4 pins so that they are exactly over the motherboard holes.
If one is out of place, you will damage the pins which are delicate.
Push down on a DIAGONAL pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.
If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on level.

When you push down on the top black pins, it expands the white plastic pins to fix the cooler in place.

If you can, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are through and locked.

Does your case have adequate air intake capability to give the cooler the air it needs to do the job?
Take the case covers off and see if that helps. If it makes a big difference, look to case cooling solutions.

Lastly, the H410r is not a great replacement.
A tower type cooler is better than a top down cooler, but the H410r still has the same 92mm fan
If you are going to replace the cooler, look for a tower type cooler with a 120mm fan or larger.
Thanks man , i guess i'll buy some thermal paste then , thank you

TRENDING THREADS