Question change DNS

manolis kokotsakis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2019
I run the DNS benchmarks in my laptop. I use the two most fast dns servers that the test found , for my internet connection. After one week, internet slow down. New benchmark test. The previous dns , was now, 20 positions lower in the list. I put new. The same after one week.
This is normal to happen ? I have to run this test every week and change DNS ? Indeed fst dns makes my internet browsing faster and snappier.

Ralston18

Titan
Performance is always going to vary due to any number of reasons: traffic, weather, maintenance, equipment failures, government actions, etc....

There may be a lot of people doing the same thing; running the benchmark and chasing performance.

So the fastest dns site(s) get bogged down and slowed down.

Which benchmark app are you running? There are many such apps and one is DNS Benchmark (GRC).

What sites are you finding to be the fastest? Others may comment/post accordingly.

I am not sure how you even think to benchmark DNS servers unless you are not using the 2 most commonly used public ones like 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1

I can't see how you would ever get meaningful tests using these IP addresses. They are not one machine or even one physical location. They have large load balancers in front of huge massive groups of machines. There is no way to be sure that you even access the same exact machine between different queries. There is also a slight chance you could move to a data center in a different city if something changes in the internet routing.

I can't see how any other DNS provider can think to provide faster service than google. Google has data centers in almost every major city in the world. Any other provider you would have to be lucky and live near one of their data centers. Since dns is such tiny amounts of traffic the latency to the data center is going to have huge impact so the closest dns server should always have a huge advantage.

I am not sure how you even think to benchmark DNS servers unless you are not using the 2 most commonly used public ones like 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1

I can't see how you would ever get meaningful tests using these IP addresses. They are not one machine or even one physical location. They have large load balancers in front of huge massive groups of machines. There is no way to be sure that you even access the same exact machine between different queries. There is also a slight chance you could move to a data center in a different city if something changes in the internet routing.

I can't see how any other DNS provider can think to provide faster service than google. Google has data centers in almost every major city in the world. Any other provider you would have to be lucky and live near one of their data centers. Since dns is such tiny amounts of traffic the latency to the data center is going to have huge impact so the closest dns server should always have a huge advantage.

I normally use all the 8's but actually at the moment I am getting a response time from OpenDNS (208. 67.220.220). As you suggest these are only a snapshot result and in ten minutes time the results could be different.

I run the DNS benchmarks in my laptop. I use the two most fast dns servers that the test found , for my internet connection. After one week, internet slow down. New benchmark test. The previous dns , was now, 20 positions lower in the list. I put new. The same after one week.
This is normal to happen ? I have to run this test every week and change DNS ? Indeed fst dns makes my internet browsing faster and snappier.

Are you sure DNS is your issue? I'm pretty sure a few millisecond difference would make little to no difference to browsing.

manolis kokotsakis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2019
I cant say if this is the issue. But i am sure, after i am changing and put the fastest DNS , i see improvement on my browsing .
I am using GRCs Benchmarks test. This time , the test gave me as result, 1. 8.8.4.4. and 2nd. 4.2.2.2