Change drives in old external housing?

Question:

I have a year-old LaCie External HD USB2 #105302.

It's 40 gig - is it possible or practical to buy a 160 gig ($70) and
put it in the LaCie housing??

Robert Rowen wrote:

> Question:
>
> I have a year-old LaCie External HD USB2 #105302.
>
> It's 40 gig - is it possible or practical to buy a 160 gig ($70) and
> put it in the LaCie housing??

You might be better off getting a 120GB drive.
For a 160GB drive to work properly, the enclosure needs to support
48-bit lba, and you can't be guaranteed that. That is, unless you can
google the specifications somewhere.

=-WD

Thanks Will for the suggestion. You were exactly right but LaCie has
a firmware upgrade. In the interest of webwide problem-solving, I
post their reply below:

Hi Robert--

Thanks for contacting LaCie Technical Support. You can put in a 160GB
drive, but you will probably need to update the firmware to make sure
it
reads the larger volume:

http://www.lacie.com/download/drivers/DeviceUpdater_Install_1_0_4.zip

Please include all previous messages if you reply. This information
will
be required by the email support team to further assist you. Thank
you.

Regards,
Technical Support
LaCie Ltd.
22985 NW Evergreen Pkwy
Hillsboro OR 97124

Sales and Customer Service:
phone: 503-844-4500 email: sales@lacie.com fax: 503-844-4501

Technical Support:
phone: 503-844-4503 email: support@lacie.com fax: 503-844-4505

Hours: Mon-Fri 7am - 5pm Pacific Time

***LaCie Newsletters***
Register to receive exclusive offers, product news or updates:
http://www.lacie.com/subscribe/
***Hot Products***
Find out about the new d2 Extreme, the fastest external FireWire
drives
ever:
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10029
kjd