Change file type RAW to NTFS

G

Hello, how to change RAW file type to NTFS .
my hard disk has changed the type to RAW and now it show the cd drive icon and there is no option for format.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
There are two places where we store file system information: the MBR partition Table and Volumes boot sector, When the file system information provided on these 2 sectors of disk is not good you may see chkdsk reporting raw file system (though the data is still there).

Ok try this one mount the drive as a slave inside the computer and see if you can repair the partition table:

Download the Windows version of TestDisk. http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
Unzip the downloaded file to your C: drive and open C:\testdisk-6.8\win > double click " testdisk_win" (the program doesn't have to installed).

A. At the first window select “No Log” and press the <Enter> key.
B. Select what drive to analyse, choose “Proceed” and <Enter>.
C. Select partition type – Intel if it’s a PC.
D. Select “Analyse” then <Enter>. The drive/partition will be analysed.
E. Select “Proceed” at the next screen, then <Enter>.
F. Press “Y” if the partitions were created under Vista – “N” if not.
G. TestDisk should say “Structure OK”. Choose the drive/partition to fix. Then press <Enter>.
H. Select “Write” and press <Enter>.
I. Press “Y”.
J. Press <Enter> and close TestDisk. Reboot the computer.

passbyuser

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

Thanks, I just got my photos back off raw memory card that I use on my cannon. Great freeware and thank you for your info.

G

use photorec windows version and/or testdisc windows version as an earlier link stated, these will repair if possible raw to whatever format is needed amongst the myriads available within these 2 two apps cheers to dev. of these!!! reboot to take effect after exiting these apps with quit command awesome encoding dev...!!!... fantabulous, and if drive is inoperable still ? then rma the drive my magnum xporter 64gb usb pendrive has a 5 year unconditional money back guarantee its been newly replaced once in 3 years is yours guaranteed? if tits not tits time to ga-det-one-dat-is!!!? njoy ur pc multimedia XPerience!

YES INDEED LADIES AND JEWS AND GENTILS MY DRIVE IS NTFS AND WORKS AGAIN I CANNOT THANK THE ABOVE DEV OF THOSE TWO FINE APPS ENOUGH!!! NO RMA NEEDED CHEEEEEEEEEEEEERzZz iam shocked and amazed thank god & thank fine devs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so cool -=8^)~~~~~ +- A+++ GRADE AAA+++ software dev and i mean that soulfully too

as for my sandisk 8gb pendrive well uh the chip circuitry must be fried i plug it in and get notta thing ... and guess what its not guaranteed, so short of buying an eprom its junk now...

May 9, 2014
Wow, I have to thank you so much.
I tried for some time to get my drive to work all to no avail.
Then you come along like an angel and help me fix it with detailed instruction.
You're awesome, I made an account just to tell you this, dude.
:)
Have a great day!

sauabhgayali

Reputable
Jul 24, 2014
I also has same problem.
I just got some less inof in some other blogs and wrote a new MBR code in boot sector instead of scanning.
now its not working
and now windows repair also cant repair it.
Will testdisk recongnise that the new MBR code written was also a part of earlier raw partition that just got shifted or resized cause i wrote a new mbr
:(

Please msg me. I am not a regular user of Tom's hardware.
EMAIL REDACTED - SS

Hendry Tanaka

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014

In case I don't want to get back my data, how could I fix it?

elhamady

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
just format it quick format NTFS

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
this just happened to me and I was about to format my drive (since I had a recent backup), but decided to try a few things.

what ended up working was booting from my w7 install disk, choosing 'repair your installation,' and then running chkdsk /f e: (in my case) from the command prompt. it wouldn't work from Windows, but worked from the repair disk. hope this helps someone!

prior to this working, i had tried testdisk (set disk to ntfs -- but i don't think it actually wrote the changes to the drive), not sure if that had anything to do with the fix or not.

good luck!

PriscilaRBN

Reputable
Dec 21, 2014

Thank you so much! I've tried at least 4 different tutorials before this and none of them worked. It's amazing to find someone who indeed knows how to fix this. Once again, thanks!

mesut

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015

mesut

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
A. At the first window select “No Log” and press the <Enter> key.
B. Select what drive to analyse, choose “Proceed” and <Enter>.
C. Select partition type – Intel if it’s a PC.
D. Select “Analyse” then <Enter>. The drive/partition will be analysed.
E. Select “Proceed” at the next screen, then <Enter>.
F. Press “Y” if the partitions were created under Vista – “N” if not.
G. TestDisk should say “Structure OK”. Choose the drive/partition to fix. Then press <Enter>.
H. Select “Write” and press <Enter>.
I. Press “Y”.
J. Press <Enter> and close TestDisk. Reboot the computer.

Hello,Insert testdisk and run of it but After section E does not follow your sample request.. Asked different question...I said yes..then now working analyse cylinder ... waiting for result..I hope it helps..thanks

mesut

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015

mesut

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
try to use raw-NTFS change bytestdisk program.After recover end.the message as below:
Disk/dev/sdc-1000GB/931GiB-CHS 953869 63 32
Analyse cylinder 953869/953869
The following partition cant't be recovered

start End size in sectors
FAT16 LBA 1996616 17 30 3798520 19 28 3690299455

so as I understand cannot read some files.Turn on-of computer after that... there is no change... Anybody has happened like this???

Thanks a lot

decop

Reputable
Feb 13, 2015

firozpallipadi

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015

"
please kindly guide me if it external hard disk how can change file type

"

Salvatore Simone

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015

Apologies for bumping such an old thread, but I couldn't find any resources on this during my own struggles...

I recently came across this error with my SSD, and found a solution for it. It showed up as RAW in windows explorer, and as NTFS in CHKDSK. All files were intact after extracting using EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard 9.0, so I forced a power cycle on the system as a whole.

All I did was powered down normally, unplugged the PC from the wall, and held power button while off for about 15-30 seconds. Hope this helps!

AuroraMichadonis

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016

So I tried what you said because I am having the same problem, (a RAW SSD) and TestDisk detects my disk, but when I press Enter on it, the program freezes. It works on all my other disks.

apascs

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
Am checking USB harddisk with no partition full 300gb
Getting this error message End of partition not found .
Did a quick search. Then it gives me a read error in sector 2141

FastTurtle

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
Hello,

I had the same issue earlier on and again today.
What worked in my case ( a WesternDigital external harddrive on Windows10, driveletter K: ) :
At the commandprompt : chkdsk /f K
This time I had to run it twice to get it finally Completedok
but immediately after, in Windows explorer, K was no longer 'Lokal Disk' but again known as 'WD_1', the original label I gave it.
Cheers,
ivo