[SOLVED] Change from 32 bit to 64 bit system

Solution
I have ample RAM and memory, do I need to just change the CPU ? or any thing else
Your current hardware is almost certainly 64bit capable.
Let us know what it is, and we can tell you.

The OS, however...that will need a full wipe and reinstall. There is no simple 'upgrade' from 32bit to 64bit.
Full wipe and reinstall.

nmb255

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Your a little confused, I can tell. It will help if you give your system specs, and say why you are aksing this question.

With 64bit computing you need two things: Capable hardware; Compatible software

If your hardware was purchased within the last 15 years, it's most likely 64-bit capable. What model do you have?

Your OS comes in two flavours; 32-bit and 64-bit. Even if you have 64-bit capable hardware you could have installed the 32-bit version of the OS. The main limitation of 32-bit is the amount of memory it can address. It has a limit of around 4GB or memory. Having more than that onboard is not accessable to the OS. With a 64-bit OS it can access more than 4GB of memory. Many games nowdays demand a 64-bit OS in order to run. Even on the latest hardware.

Changing from 32-bit to 64-bit of the same OS was a painful experience. The best way was is through a re-install, and I can't imagine its gotten any better now.

BTW - Ram is Memory.

Reactions: CountMike