Change from nvidia to AMD

Jul 28, 2018
Hi guys bought been given an r9 255 apparently its better than the gt 710 I did have in there, how would I go about installing the AMD I only ask because I have swapped out the graphics cards and the AMD isn't showing up in device manager having to use on board vga while I try and work this out. Any help would be appreciated. Tia

orange011_

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
You will need to download the AMD drivers for your card from AMDs website, and then install it. After installing the driver for your card it should show up in device manager.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Proper steps are:

1 - Download the drivers for that card from AMD's site.
2 - Download DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller).
3 - Run DDU to remove the Nvidia drivers. Select "remove and shut down" since you'd be installing a new card.
4 - Install the R9 255.
5 - Boot the PC.
6 - Install the AMD drivers.

Jul 28, 2018
Ok just manage to get onto the computer followed all the steps to the letter and still it's not working??? Should I reinstall the 710 just to uninstall it again because the r9 is not showing up at all and I can't install and software as it says there is no hardware to install any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The only other thing I can think of is that it's possible that you might have to go into your BIOS to set Enable Legacy Support (might be worded slightly different than that), as I *think* the R9 255 is based on an older chipset...

That was the case with an R7 250E I had.