[SOLVED] Change HD Drive ownership (permissions)

WilliamC_71

Honorable
Feb 20, 2017
I bought a new computer with a single boot drive. My plan was to transfer the 6 GB Data drive to my new computer. Done and accessible. The problem is that I can't save new files to it directly, "You do not have permission . . ." error. If I save to my boot drive first and then move it to the transferred Data drive, then it works. this is a major pain - I AM A PHOTOGRAPHER. I'm constantly saving new files to my picture folder on my Data Drive. I've tried to change the permissions but have failed so far. How do I get to a high enough level to be authorized to make the ownership change?

USAFRet

Titan
I bought a new computer with a single boot drive. My plan was to transfer the 6 GB Data drive to my new computer. Done and accessible. The problem is that I can't save new files to it directly, "You do not have permission . . ." error. If I save to my boot drive first and then move it to the transferred Data drive, then it works. this is a major pain - I AM A PHOTOGRAPHER. I'm constantly saving new files to my picture folder on my Data Drive. I've tried to change the permissions but have failed so far. How do I get to a high enough level to be authorized to make the ownership change?
This 6TB drive came from some other system?

How was this 'data drive' set up on the old system?

WilliamC_71

Honorable
Feb 20, 2017
This 6TB drive came from some other system?

How was this 'data drive' set up on the old system?
I had one 1TB drive for the OS (boot) and the second 6 TB Data Drive, Drive letter R:, with Document, Picture, Video , and Music system folders located there. Same setup on the New computer including Drive letter "r:" and system folders moved.

USAFRet

Titan
I had one 1TB drive for the OS (boot) and the second 6 TB Data Drive, Drive letter R:, with Document, Picture, Video , and Music system folders located there. Same setup on the New computer including Drive letter "r:" and system folders moved.
Right.
And those Doc/Pic/Vid libraries were relocated from the original OS location?

Doing that carries the permissions from the old user account in the old system.

As noted above, TakeOwnership.