[SOLVED] Change motherboard from Asus Z370 to Z390 without having to reinstall windows

Apr 24, 2022
Hello!

I'm on windows 10 v21h2 and I wanted to retire my current Asus Prime Z370-P motherboard and put an Asus Prime Z390-P on it but without having to reinstall windows. They are very similar MB, almost identical.

The old one is to give it to my nephew who has an eighth generation processor and a second-hand b360 board with two usb ports that are going badly and that from time to time gives him short and constant beeps.

So I would give my asus z370 to my nephew and I would get the asus Z390.

I can uninstall the audio and internet drivers easily because they both appear in control panel-programs and features-uninstall or change a program and after that install the new ones.

But in the case of the intel chipset I don't see a way to uninstall them.

The only way I think it can be done is to right click device manager, "uninstall devices and check the box to remove the driver software for this device", but I don't know if I should only do it on the 1st (sata controller) and in the 2nd (LPC controller) according to the attached image or only in the first or both of them or what.

I would appreciate any advice.

View: https://imgur.com/kTTUJFR

Last edited:
Solution
I wanted to retire my current Asus Prime Z370-P motherboard and put an Asus Prime Z390-P on it but without having to reinstall windows. They are very similar MB, almost identical.
Just get another Z370 and give it to your nephew.
That way - avoid replacing current board and need to reinstall.

What's the point in upgrading from Z370 to Z390, if they're almost identical?
You're just creating extra work for yourself. Pointless work, with no benefit whatsoever.

USAFRet

Titan
We all wish that changing motherboards were a slam dunk, no reinstall needed.

However, there are 3 possibilities:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I've personally had all 3.

There is no "chipset uninstall" or other weirdness to force it to work.

Prepare for a full wipe and reinstall, be thankful if you do not have to do that.

I wanted to retire my current Asus Prime Z370-P motherboard and put an Asus Prime Z390-P on it but without having to reinstall windows. They are very similar MB, almost identical.

You're just creating extra work for yourself. Pointless work, with no benefit whatsoever.

Reactions: MEMOFLEX
Solution
Apr 24, 2022

That is the first thing I tried, but I couldn´t find any Asus Z370

USAFRet

Titan
The old MB is for him, the new one for me and the only one reason I´ve thought in Asus Z390 is because I don´t want to reinstall windows and I want minimum changes. That´s why I ask how to uninstall chipset driver.

Before making the exchanges, I need to know if it is possible.
As said, a motherboard change ALWAYS involves a possible full wipe and reinstall.
There is no 100% either way.

Apr 24, 2022
Why limit yourself to a Asus board? Other brands are just as good and if he don't have a K processor another B360 would work.

The old MB is for him, the new one for me and the only one reason I´ve thought in Asus Z390 is because I don´t want to reinstall windows and I want minimum changes. That´s why I ask how to uninstall chipset driver.

Before making the exchanges, I need to know if it is possible.