Change mouse driver [help please]

ianivy

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
I just bought a Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 -- the microsoft drivers don't allow configuration of the tilt wheel (past the middle click). Do other drivers exist -- I tried using x-mouse, but I think it's limited to the current driver?

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

You may already have the MS Intellipooint 8.0 or 8.1 drivers.
It has 50-75 different choices of mice after installation when you click on the Mouse applet in the Control Panel.

The optical comfort mouse 3000 in their list of choices lets you vertically scroll the center wheel, but not horizontally scroll it.
However the MS image of your comfort 3000 shows it can both vertically and horizontally scroll.

The optical comfort mouse 4000 and many others permits you to horizontally scroll.

Might try one of the other choices, like the 4000 and see if it will function properly.

The middle mouse button can be changed.

Ensure you have the correct drivers (v8.15) for your version of Windows and are in the correct spot (usually a link in the lower-right System Tray).

This is NOT a very good mouse if you play video games though. If you play games or this mouse frustrates you I strongly suggest you get a Logitech mouse.

While expensive, the MX518 may be the best gaming mouse overall.

I STRONGLY suggest if you buy an expensive mouse that you go to a store first and see how you like the buttons (especially the middle button). I really, really hate middle buttons that are spongy to press and hard to turn.