Change Networked HDD to Local HDD

thabatao

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017
I received two Hard disk drives that are formatted or mapped as network drives. I want to use them as drive D: and drive E: in a PC or as two external hard drives.
In a PC when I want to format them, I am told "you cannot format a network drive". If I install them in an external enclosure, I get the message "One or more of your USB devices are faulty". It then appears in device manager as a USB unknown with the usual yellow triangle.
How can I change these networked drives to standard normal usable Hard drives?
I am using either WIN 98 0r Win XP or Win 7. I have tried all three PC's.

Thanks.

Leon

* Moderator edit to remove personal info, do not post email in public forums *

Solution
1. create a logon script in active directory, mapping your network drive to every pc whenever a user logs on. As presently as your users go browsing, the drive automatically maps to every pc.
2. Edit cluster policy to cover the C drive from users http://support.microsoft.com/kb/231289 tells you exactly a way to try this.

1. begin the Microsoft Management Console. On the Console menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in.
2. Add the cluster Policy snap-in for the default domain policy. To do this, click Browse after you ar prompted to pick a bunch Policy Object (GPO). The default authority is native pc. you'll be able to additionally add GPOs for alternative domain partitions (specifically, structure Units).
3. Open the subsequent sections...

thabatao

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017

They were inside old Motorola PVR's that used to be used on cable TV. I received them when the people stripped the PVR's and did not want the harddrives. I am building a PC to do interfacing to a model train layout and I need to change them to local drives.
I hope this answers you question.

They are local drives, if connected directly to a computer. Connect them directly to a computer with a SATA cable, not with an enclosure, boot the system, start diskpart utility, do a list disk. The secondary disks should be disk 1. Do a "select disk 1" command, then do a "clean" command. Make sure that is the correct disk though by size and model or you can easily wipe another disk this way in a second.

Then using disk manager create a partition on the drive and format it.

Promomilia

Commendable
Feb 6, 2017
1. create a logon script in active directory, mapping your network drive to every pc whenever a user logs on. As presently as your users go browsing, the drive automatically maps to every pc.
2. Edit cluster policy to cover the C drive from users http://support.microsoft.com/kb/231289 tells you exactly a way to try this.

1. begin the Microsoft Management Console. On the Console menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in.
2. Add the cluster Policy snap-in for the default domain policy. To do this, click Browse after you ar prompted to pick a bunch Policy Object (GPO). The default authority is native pc. you'll be able to additionally add GPOs for alternative domain partitions (specifically, structure Units).
3. Open the subsequent sections: User Configuration, body Templates, Windows elements, and Windows adventurer.
4. Click Hide these such drives in My pc.
5. Click to pick the Hide these such drives in My pc check box.
6. Click the acceptable choice within the drop-down box.

Second solution
They access your main pc (you referred to as it server)
tour 1st drive is native is you secured (XP automatically set the drive as NOT sharing capable.

For your network harddrive(second drive on your PC) right click on the second drive and click on share & security then check share this folder on the network.

I will opt for the second chance. currently whereas sharing confirm firewalls ar put off and to forestall hacking ensuring you're not on world wide web whereas sharing over a network.

Solution