Question Change PSU HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT

May 17, 2020
Hello, I want to change the source to an Hp Compaq Elite 8300 CMT and I have seen that I need a 24 to 6-pin adapter, could you recommend a certified source that does not exceed € 50? If I want to put an RX 580 on it, do I need any other cables?

May 17, 2020
Hello, I want to change the source to an Hp Compaq Elite 8300 CMT and I have seen that I need a 24 to 6-pin adapter, could you recommend a certified source that does not exceed € 50? If I want to put an RX 580 on it, do I need any other cables?

tomreedtoon

Honorable
Jul 5, 2017
I can't speak for "certified" sources, but I know of two different adapters. This first one is specifically for the 8300, and is promoted as the only one that takes care of the 515 fan error problem:

https://www.moddiy.com/products/HP-...Main-Power-24-Pin-to-6-Pin-Adapter-Cable.html

The cost is $14.95 U.S., which converts to 11.6937 British pounds. Sounds good, but I ordered one, and in two weeks I haven't received it yet. It is apparently built in Hong Kong, and according to their "sophisticated" tracking system, it was sent to the HK post office...and hasn't reached America's USPS system yet. I can only hope that it gets here before our Stable Genius, the Annoying Orange, starts a war with China.

The other cable comes from a company called AYAgroup, and it's supposed to work for the 8100, 8200 and 8300:

https://ayagroup.com/collections/ca...cable-18awg-for-hp-elite-8100-8200-8300-800g1

This one costs $17.99 U.S., converting to 14.0691 British pounds. However...it DOES NOT work out of the box. They even have a video on YouTube that explains how to modify the tiny 6 pin connector so that it will work...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A8Ycl4nDYo&pbjreload=101

You'll see in the video that the cable has a green jumper on that 6 pin connector, and that you have to rearrange the cables in the adapter. First, they didn't send me the green jumper, and I had to email them asking for the jumper. THEN, I had to go through several web pages and YouTube videos to find the schematic for the connection. I double and triple checked the arrangement of the four pins.

As the AYAgroup video says, you use a pin to remove the connector pins and re-insert them in the right order. Forget the color coding they mentioned; my connector had different colors and I had to trace them back to which pin on the 24 pin connector they go to. Here is a web page that shows the schematics:

I did all that...and while my 8100 did not go up in a Michael Bay explosion, it also didn't start. I got four beeps, indicating "power supply failure." I went back to the wimpy HP PSU until, hopefully, the shipment from Hong Kong arrives.

(Note: With the supply I used, a Thermaltake 500 watt 80 Plus supply, I had to split the 8 pin 12V connector in half, to supply 12V to the CPU part of the motherboard. Since this is a "single rail 12v" supply, either one of those should have worked. Maybe I'm wrong, and I should have used the other half of the connector. But I'm still beteting that there's a problem with the AYA cable or my rewiring of it.)

In summary, I'd suggest waiting for the MODdiy cable. It's a pity that the available information, on web pages or YouTube videos, is so limited. The enthusiasts that make these videos don't always speak or write clearly. But, of course, the blame goes to Hewlett-Packard, for trying to monopolize the market by using weird and incompatible systems so you're stuck with whatever they shovel out of the factory.

I wish you good luck, because I couldn't find any better information out there.

tomreedtoon

Honorable
Jul 5, 2017
If anyone is still monitoring this thread, I'have a question. The substitute power supply I wanted to put in the HP Compaq 8100 Elite was a 500 watt Thermaltake Smart 500 watt supply (80 Plus). The 8100's motherboard required a 4 pin 12 volt plug to power the CPU. As the Thermaltake instructions said, I split the 4 x 4 plug apart, and plugged one of the resulting 4 pin connectors into the CPU power socket. As mentioned above, it didn't work. Are these 4x4 pin connectors identical when they are split? Do they provide the same voltage and amperage?

I am frustrated with the AYAgroup adapter; it did NOT come with the wiring connection the computer needed, and after moving around the pins on the connector it didn't boot. I followed and traced the wires as listed above when I rearranged the pins. It still doesn't boot. And I have still not received the MODdiy cable from Hong Kong, and given the state of the world, I may never see it. The biggest frustration is that AYAgroup could have included a single page, or even a half-page, diagram showing how to properly rewire the cable for each computer's configuration, and that bit of common customer courtesy was beyond them.

There are many other adapters that do the same thing, and I'm tempted to try buying one of the no-name, no-corporate-website, unknown-manufacturer cables from eBay or Amazon to see if THEY have one that works. Has anyone out there bought one of these from some source, and had it work out of the box? Please share your good fortune with me, and if possible a link to the website or company where you purchased it.

tomreedtoon

Honorable
Jul 5, 2017
Please see this thread to which I have posted my own road to Calvary about trying the same thing. Maybe some of the information (like wiring diagrams) may help you. I haven't found a working solution yet, but I'm still trying.

Do you have a link the the exact pc you have?
Some are small form factors which do not have the size to fit a RX 580.
Past that some will not have the cooling intake capability to support such a hot card.
If you have the usual 300w psu, perhaps something like a GTX1650 gddr6 would suffice since it runs on slot power.
If your case is a low profile version, a GTX1650 is about the strongest low profile card available.

Pit8ull

Commendable
Aug 16, 2020
If anyone is still monitoring this thread, I'have a question. The substitute power supply I wanted to put in the HP Compaq 8100 Elite was a 500 watt Thermaltake Smart 500 watt supply (80 Plus). The 8100's motherboard required a 4 pin 12 volt plug to power the CPU. As the Thermaltake instructions said, I split the 4 x 4 plug apart, and plugged one of the resulting 4 pin connectors into the CPU power socket. As mentioned above, it didn't work. Are these 4x4 pin connectors identical when they are split? Do they provide the same voltage and amperage?

I am frustrated with the AYAgroup adapter; it did NOT come with the wiring connection the computer needed, and after moving around the pins on the connector it didn't boot. I followed and traced the wires as listed above when I rearranged the pins. It still doesn't boot. And I have still not received the MODdiy cable from Hong Kong, and given the state of the world, I may never see it. The biggest frustration is that AYAgroup could have included a single page, or even a half-page, diagram showing how to properly rewire the cable for each computer's configuration, and that bit of common customer courtesy was beyond them.

There are many other adapters that do the same thing, and I'm tempted to try buying one of the no-name, no-corporate-website, unknown-manufacturer cables from eBay or Amazon to see if THEY have one that works. Has anyone out there bought one of these from some source, and had it work out of the box? Please share your good fortune with me, and if possible a link to the website or company where you purchased it.
Yes I ordered one from amazon a week ago when I ordered my psu. The one I got worked right out of the box except for that annoying 515 F1 boot error. When I cleared the CMOS though I had to enter BIOS and reset day and time before F1 would allow me to enter windows.

tomreedtoon

Honorable
Jul 5, 2017
Yes I ordered one from amazon a week ago when I ordered my psu. The one I got worked right out of the box except for that annoying 515 F1 boot error. When I cleared the CMOS though I had to enter BIOS and reset day and time before F1 would allow me to enter windows.
I ordered another one of these adapters from Amazon as well. And just as happened before, the wires into the teeny little 6 pin connector are in the wrong spots! I even tried to ask the guy before buying it, "will this adapter work for the 8100 out of the box?" I got an "out of office" email. I really hate liars about their product, especially one that can be "adapted" but don't show specifically how to adapt it. I will find the article showing what pin goes to what, AGAIN, and try to use a safety pin and prayer to reassemble the little connector, and see if it works then. And I will send them negative feedback with as colorful a language as I can use without being kicked off for censorship problems.

Pit8ull

Commendable
Aug 16, 2020
I ordered another one of these adapters from Amazon as well. And just as happened before, the wires into the teeny little 6 pin connector are in the wrong spots! I even tried to ask the guy before buying it, "will this adapter work for the 8100 out of the box?" I got an "out of office" email. I really hate liars about their product, especially one that can be "adapted" but don't show specifically how to adapt it. I will find the article showing what pin goes to what, AGAIN, and try to use a safety pin and prayer to reassemble the little connector, and see if it works then. And I will send them negative feedback with as colorful a language as I can use without being kicked off for censorship problems.
The one from CoMeap on amazon works right out of the box without the error. Let me know if you need the pinout. I will be glad to take pics and post!

tomreedtoon

Honorable
Jul 5, 2017
The one from CoMeap on amazon works right out of the box without the error. Let me know if you need the pinout. I will be glad to take pics and post!
Well, this forum forced me to sign up with Imgur (which I have never heard of before) so I can post the problem I have with the Mystery Six Pin Connector. Here it is. If you can tell me how the furshlugginer connector is numbered, it would ease my mind greatly.

Pit8ull

Commendable
Aug 16, 2020
the 6 pin only uses 3 wires from the 24 pin. The 4th wire on all those cables for sale are using 2 grounds when it only uses 1. Not really sure how they even work when you finally figure out the correct sequence. The middle 2 pins are for power on and power ok. The one on the end is the ground. The loop on the other end just jumps the last 2 pins to mimic a fan. All I know is it works flawlessly and my computer doesn't make me press f1 anymore. By the waythe one I ordered from moddiy arrived and was wired exactly the same way. On the 24 pin connector pin 8 is power ok and pin 16 is power on. I just counted and there are 8 grounds on that 24 pin connector and , again , you only need 1 of those going to your 6 pin connector. I hope this helps you and anyone else fighting this.

Last edited: