[SOLVED] Change ram

MatteoCaporale

Commendable
Mar 11, 2020
Hi, I'm upgrading my pc (actually making almost a brand new one), I'm changing the Motherboard, the CPU, The GPU, the PSU, and the ram, all components should arrive between today and tomorrow except for the RAM, can i install all components with the old RAM I already have and change it later as they arrive?
Both are DDR4, the difference is that one is 2400 MHz and the other is 3600MHz
I will put them in the new motherboard and then replace it with the new one, can I do it as long as they are compatible with the MOBO?

Solution
Your I5-10400F officially supports up to 2666Mhz so 3600Mhz may not work and would require Bios changes to loosen Timings and DRAM Voltage which is not a good solution. I doubt there will be an XMP profile for easy Overclocking at 3600Mhz.
PRIME-B560-PLUS supports up to 4600Mhz so no problems there.

Best is to choose a kit the size you need at a frequency that are supported by both CPU and MB and listed on the MB QVL. That way you know they are tested and known to work.

Here is your QVL: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-B560-PLUS/HelpDesk_QVL_Memory/
The RAM that you choose should also be supported by the CPU. Check the specs and choose a frequency that the IMC (Integrated Memory Comptroller) supports.

Choose your new RAM carefully from the MB QVL as a single kit and don't combine kits.
If still confused then list both CPU and MB.

MatteoCaporale

Commendable
Mar 11, 2020
The RAM that you choose should also be supported by the CPU. Check the specs and choose a frequency that the IMC (Integrated Memory Comptroller) supports.

Choose your new RAM carefully from the MB QVL as a single kit and don't combine kits.
If still confused then list both CPU and MB.
Old components: 4x2 DDR4 Geil 2400 MHz and MSI H270M Bazooka MB
New components: ASUS B560 Plus MB, I5-10400F CPU, and 2x8 DDR4 Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16
They should be supported, so if they are I can just put these old rams on the new MB and when the new one arrives I can just replace them? Just like that?

Last edited:
Your I5-10400F officially supports up to 2666Mhz so 3600Mhz may not work and would require Bios changes to loosen Timings and DRAM Voltage which is not a good solution. I doubt there will be an XMP profile for easy Overclocking at 3600Mhz.
PRIME-B560-PLUS supports up to 4600Mhz so no problems there.

Best is to choose a kit the size you need at a frequency that are supported by both CPU and MB and listed on the MB QVL. That way you know they are tested and known to work.

Here is your QVL: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-B560-PLUS/HelpDesk_QVL_Memory/

Solution