Question Change temp CPU fans max at?

tacticalkali

Reputable
Oct 16, 2019
So I've noticed my CPU fans seem to rev up in certain intervals in more demanding games and tasks like video rendering. Having monitored temps, this usually happens at around 75C, but the max temps I've recorded so far are only 76c. is there anyway to change the temp or is this too risky as it would overheat?

thanks

I wouldn't want to go hotter than 76C.....so personally I would leave it alone.
....and I think part of the reason you aren't going above 76C is that the fans are ramping up.

If you want, you can go into the BIOS and see what's there as far as controlling the fan.....and possibly set up your own fan curve......but as I said....I wouldn't want to go much above 76C.

tacticalkali

Reputable
Oct 16, 2019
....and I think part of the reason you aren't going above 76C is that the fans are ramping up.

If you want, you can go into the BIOS and see what's there as far as controlling the fan.....and possibly set up your own fan curve......but as I said....I wouldn't want to go much above 76C.

Before I secured the cooler into place (one of the legs wasn't properly secured), and used compressed air, I was getting temps up to 99C and it was still making about the same noise...

My average fan speed at idle is about 986 which still seems too loud, my case fans are 714

Before I secured the cooler into place (one of the legs wasn't properly secured), and used compressed air, I was getting temps up to 99C and it was still making about the same noise...

My average fan speed at idle is about 986 which still seems too loud, my case fans are 714
Something you can try. Run with the case open and see if your CPU temp drops significantly.
If it does.....you can add case cooling and this may take some load off of your CPU cooler and it may run with a slower fan speed. (just an idea).

"and it was still making about the same noise..."
^^^^I'm thinking because the fan is maxed out in both cases. I'm thinking it was maxed out at 99C and it is maxed out at 76C.

tacticalkali

Reputable
Oct 16, 2019

Well, before I secured one of the CPU
Something you can try. Run with the case open and see if your CPU temp drops significantly.
If it does.....you can add case cooling and this may take some load off of your CPU cooler and it may run with a slower fan speed. (just an idea).

"and it was still making about the same noise..."
^^^^I'm thinking because the fan is maxed out in both cases. I'm thinking it was maxed out at 99C and it is maxed out at 76C.
I've tried that already, it doesn't. Cooling is sufficient, IMO. I have one intake, one rear. Both are 120mm fans, front is the stock corsair, other one is a BeQuiet 120 something. The top of the case has mesh, room for watercooling, but should still allow more air in.

Well, before I secured one of the CPU

I've tried that already, it doesn't. Cooling is sufficient, IMO. I have one intake, one rear. Both are 120mm fans, front is the stock corsair, other one is a BeQuiet 120 something. The top of the case has mesh, room for watercooling, but should still allow more air in.
Well.....you could play with the fan curve.....but if I did this.....I would try and keep it below 80C....or maybe look into a different cooler. There are some pretty quiet coolers out there.

tacticalkali

Reputable
Oct 16, 2019
Well.....you could play with the fan curve.....but if I did this.....I would try and keep it below 80C....or maybe look into a different cooler. There are some pretty quiet coolers out there.
I don't understand why my CPU temps are now higher though just because I've switched case. Could it have been where one of the heatsink/fan legs was loose?

I would check out the thermal paste, but I really don't want to screw anything up. I narrowly avoided a major problem after accidentally bending the USB 3 header pins (managed to bend back thank God)

"I don't understand why my CPU temps are now higher though just because I've switched case. "
What were they before?
Personally I've never had "changing the thermal paste" get me much.
Where I have seen lots of problems is with loose coolers.....so this is something I always check.

tacticalkali

Reputable
Oct 16, 2019
"I don't understand why my CPU temps are now higher though just because I've switched case. "
What were they before?
Personally I've never had "changing the thermal paste" get me much.
Where I have seen lots of problems is with loose coolers.....so this is something I always check.

Uh, idle was around 50 or so, so lower idle temps, but I don't ever recall fans having to rev up in gaming. Certainly I never recalled them getting to 80 and over which happened the other day before I cleaned it out.

How can I check the cooler is secure?

Uh, idle was around 50 or so, so lower idle temps, but I don't ever recall fans having to rev up in gaming. Certainly I never recalled them getting to 80 and over which happened the other day before I cleaned it out.

How can I check the cooler is secure?
"How can I check the cooler is secure?"
All I do is make sure it is snug (no wiggling....no looseness)......and make sure the heat sink is flush with the CPU (make sure nothing got in between when you put the cooler on).

I think 50 is a bit high for idle.

tacticalkali

Reputable
Oct 16, 2019
"How can I check the cooler is secure?"
All I do is make sure it is snug (no wiggling....no looseness)......and make sure the heat sink is flush with the CPU (make sure nothing got in between when you put the cooler on).

I think 50 is a bit high for idle.
As said, don't get 50 now, mostly in the late 30s to 40s idle, that was what i can remember from my old case.

Stock cooler.

What actually is idle, is that doing literally nothing or does having 5+ tabs open in chrome count?

I know the stock cooler is crap, but it still doesn't explain why things have been fine up until recently. I will try wiggle the cooler
I imagine you will get a different definition of idle depending on who you ask......for me....if the computer boots to windows.....and then sits....that would be idle.
Also, even if you have 5 tabs open, but the CPU isn't actually doing anything with the tabs.....that would also be idle in my opinion.
Pretty much anything with a real low CPU usage.....like under 10% I would call idle.

....and like you....I don't know why the temps went up with the new case....but I would still consider a new cooler.....there is a big difference between the louder coolers and the quieter ones....around 15 decibels.....that's quite a bit.

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPUCooling/774

tacticalkali

Reputable
Oct 16, 2019
I imagine you will get a different definition of idle depending on who you ask......for me....if the computer boots to windows.....and then sits....that would be idle.
Also, even if you have 5 tabs open, but the CPU isn't actually doing anything with the tabs.....that would also be idle in my opinion.
Pretty much anything with a real low CPU usage.....like under 10% I would call idle.

....and like you....I don't know why the temps went up with the new case....but I would still consider a new cooler.....there is a big difference between the louder coolers and the quieter ones....around 15 decibels.....that's quite a bit.

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPUCooling/774

I had someone re-apply some thermal paste, just to be sure. Turns out there was barely any on the CPU, most of it had dried up. My idle temps can get to as low as 25 and so far in gaming it hasn't gone above 70, with video rendering up to about 62.

I had someone re-apply some thermal paste, just to be sure. Turns out there was barely any on the CPU, most of it had dried up. My idle temps can get to as low as 25 and so far in gaming it hasn't gone above 70, with video rendering up to about 62.
Excellent!
If there was barely any on there.....it sounds like it might not have been pasted right to begin with.....because it generally doesn't go anywhere....and being it was dry, the cooler may not have been as tight as it should have been. Good to hear. Although I still would check the snugness of the cooler from time to time. Maybe it loosens up.

tacticalkali

Reputable
Oct 16, 2019
Excellent!
If there was barely any on there.....it sounds like it might not have been pasted right to begin with.....because it generally doesn't go anywhere....and being it was dry, the cooler may not have been as tight as it should have been. Good to hear. Although I still would check the snugness of the cooler from time to time. Maybe it loosens up.
Yeah, so in gaming I get about 72 ish but got 76 whilst renderign a 15 minute video - albeit it was straight after gaming, would that have had an impact?