[SOLVED] change the cpu, gain life span?

carpdad

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
I have core2duo desktop. Light uses. This question comes from reading about cpu life span. CPU, at the physical, atomic level, has 20-30 yrs? If I can find new cpu, does that mean I can use this desktop for another 20 years? Or does the mobo and its components have similar life limit?

For old mobo, can I find new psu that's easy and intuitive to plug into?

Solution
Or does the mobo and its components have similar life limit?
EVERY component has a life span. PSUs are often the one that most people overlook, as with any component, these degrade over time. So first of all, I wouldn't even use some of the best PSUs on the market for more than 10 years.

If I can find new cpu, does that mean I can use this desktop for another 20 years?
At the basic level, no, because your other components all have lifespans too, that will be dependant on how well it's looked after and how it's used.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Or does the mobo and its components have similar life limit?
EVERY component has a life span. PSUs are often the one that most people overlook, as with any component, these degrade over time. So first of all, I wouldn't even use some of the best PSUs on the market for more than 10 years.

If I can find new cpu, does that mean I can use this desktop for another 20 years?
At the basic level, no, because your other components all have lifespans too, that will be dependant on how well it's looked after and how it's used.

Solution

carpdad

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
Thank you for the info. Continuing the search, there was a question asked already in this site. Answer is that the capacitors in mobo deteriorate also, so it looks like the thing to do is replace the whole desktop in near future.