Change the drive label

tcdsmathigiri

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I just built a new computer, but the drive labeling is all screwed up. How can i change this? The 1st HDD is C:, the 2nd is E:, and the DVD is D:. How can I change these so the HDD's are C and D and the DVD is E:?

JefUK

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2004

Unfortunately you cannot change the System drive, only the other drives. If your system drive is E: then the only way is to reinstall. You probably installed with USB Flash Drives connected, which get enumerated before the HDD's - always install Windows before installing flash drives.

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
I have a guide from an old magazine for changing assigned drive letters for XP. The first thing is says "it is not recommended as data can be corrupted and/or lost".

Now the directions

Be sure and back up any important files and set a restore date. Log in as administrator and in the left hand corner hit Start>Run in the box that comes up type in Regedit32.exe. Go to the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices. Click MountDevices, and on the Security menu , click Permissions. Making sure you have full control as administrator. Once you do so, close out of Regedit32.exe. now go to the Run box and type in Regedit.exe. leaving out the 32.
Once again go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices You're looking for "\DosDevices\E:" since this is the drive you want to change. Right click on the drive and select Rename. Then rename the drive "\DosDevices\D:"
Now close out Regedit and go back into Regedit32.exe. and change the permissions to the way they where before. Then restart your computer and you should be home free from there.

This article came out of a magazine that's not posted on the web. I've used it twice. The 1st time it worked like a charm. The 2nd time I wasn't so lucky, it corrupted my install and would not go back to the restore point. And I had to do a fresh install.
Good Luck
Fester

You can change the drive letters very simply under Control Panel, Adminstrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk management. Very easy to do.

You cannot change the C drive, as it your boot disk. If your "C" drive did not end being the one you wanted it to be, you are best to just start all over.

To keep this from happening, when you install a new OS, only hook up 1 HDD and your DVD/CD drive. Then after the install attach your secondary drives.

Be warned that if you have installed programs to the drive that is now labed as "D", and you change it to, I am assuming you want it to be "E", and your DVD/CD to be D, you may have problems with the programs you have installed, as they will be keyed to, or think they are still on the "D" drive.
Likewise, any programs you have installed on C or D either one by using the DVD/CD drive, like games, when you insert the disk to play to them, will try to look back to drive "E" to find the CD or DVD, and they will give you an error message that they cannot find the CD/DVD.
If you haven't installed anything since the OS load though, you can simply follow the instructions above and change the 2 drive letters, no big deal.