Change the thermal paste or not trying at all?

Freezeron

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
Hello guys,

Does anyone know if changing the thermal compound of my VGA will make the a difference in the temperature?
I got one XFX 8800GT XXX (O.C. version), even for 2 or 3 degrees?

I know that the idea is bizarre, but I couldn't stop thinking about it...

P.S.: I never reach extreme temp except with the crappy Assassin's Creed game (they could at least reprogrammed their damned game!), but as usual PC's are dropped off the party... :fou:

Viva Unreal Engine and Valve Source and FEAR I don't know source.
OK, ok, I'm stopping typing...

Well, there is always is a danger of the stock cooler not having good contact and thus giving poor cooling. I've never tried switching out their paste/pads for AS5 and putting the stock back on (my stock cooler was so bad I replaced it and put new paste on).

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
My coolers were not on well at all, and thats factory applied water coolers for a pair of ultras! I was 10c lower when I re applied the paste and thermal pads.

Some coolers require you to use the thermal pads, because that allows the ram and other chips to touch some coolers. Others are close enough to where paste will work!

It cant hurt to make sure its done right. Companies are, after all, trying to make as many as they can as cheep as possible and as fast as possible.

Thats the name of the game!

--Lupi!

Freezeron

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
Ok guys, thanks all for your replies.
And for me, I will give it a try and update.
As for the Artic Silver 5, hopefully I do have it already (for my Coolermaster Eclipse, lol).

Latest posts