change volume size

W2K server one HD is divided into two simple dynamic volumes.
volume 1: C drive (system) is down to less than 5% free space
volume 2: D drive has over 50% free space
no unallocated space on disk

I need to expand volume 1, but I can't use disk management because it's the
system & boot volume. How can I dynamically change the volume sizes?
Symantec has a product to do this on servers, but it costs about $700 and I
can't justify that kind of expense.

--
Bill
E: training@jcnypd.org

"Bill Mitchell" <training@jcnypd.org> wrote in message news:<Oh7kc.126895$e17.99489@twister.nyroc.rr.com>...
> W2K server one HD is divided into two simple dynamic volumes.
> volume 1: C drive (system) is down to less than 5% free space
> volume 2: D drive has over 50% free space
> no unallocated space on disk

> I need to expand volume 1, but I can't use disk management because it's the
> system & boot volume. How can I dynamically change the volume sizes?
> Symantec has a product to do this on servers, but it costs about $700 and I
> can't justify that kind of expense.

1. You can extend the C: volume with unallocated free space. This
may require that get an addtional hard drive and can only be
done if the c: drive was not converted from a basic disk. Also, it
makes the c: volume vulnerable to disk failure on either HD.

2. You can mount your D: volume in an empty directory on C:.
This will only help if that is where the growth on your C: will be.

3. You can move the swap file and as much data off the C: drive and
onto the D: drive as possibile.

4. You can acquire large second hard disk. Copy the C: drive data
to a partition on the new disk, and make the new drive the master
(assuming the drives are IDE) and the new partition bootable and C:.

--
Matt Hickman
...a puddle of blood formed on the deck. The Captain stepped

Thanks for the advice.
I've already done #3, #2 wouldn't do any good and it is a RAID setup so I
can't simply move to larger disc.
I was hoping that someone knew of a relatively inexpensive app that I could
use to give C some of the space currently assigned to D.

--
Bill Mitchell
E: training@jcnypd.org

"Bill Mitchell" <training@jcnypd.org> wrote in message news:<l7skc.133939$e17.118578@twister.nyroc.rr.com>...
> Thanks for the advice.
> I've already done #3, #2 wouldn't do any good and it is a RAID setup so I
> can't simply move to larger disc.
> I was hoping that someone knew of a relatively inexpensive app that I could
> use to give C some of the space currently assigned to D.

Partition Magic is relatively inexpensive.

--
Matt Hickman
"I'm an American." (Oscar)

Matt,
I thought about that, but Symantec says that it is for desktops only. How
well would it work on a server with a RAID 5 set up?