Change where a program is installed on NT

jpan

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015
We are running a remote viewer program called dameware on all of our PCs.
One of the old servers is running NT and has not ever been friendly with the program. Recently we discovered that it was because the program is located in the E: drive, which is the systems root, and the program needs the files in C:

NT gives me no option of where to place these files when I install and it is starting to get frustrating :(

I have tried looking around but the best I could find is how to change the root directory but that comes with a pretty large warning that your system will cease to function if you do it.

Is there a way to move just a single program to where it needs to be so the system can be friendly with it?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Most applications will allow you to change the default installation location during the install process. This ability to change is often "hidden" under things like, advanced options, etc, and have to be modified during the install process itself.

There is no easy, safe, reliable way to move the application otherwise. However, as long as Windows knows where an application is installed, this is not typically a problem (related to the problem you are describing). Essentially, the location usually doesn't matter.

How did you confirm this issue, if you don't mind me asking?

jpan

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015

I actually had a remote session with one of the programs techs. He basically said that their program was made in such a way that it really only looks into a specific folder in the C: drive. This causes a problem because occasionally it will query a file, which isn't there, and it will flip out and keep trying to query it until the system crashes.

I have uninstalled this program several times just to see if I missed anything in the installation. it goes straight from a welcome screen to the click to install screen. I can see where it says something like "click back to change the location" but when you do it goes back to the welcome screen as if the computer has already decided on the destination and you can go jump off a bridge if you don't like it.

jpan

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015

Currently 11.1

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Have you tried installing the app (I assume your issue is with the server application itself), from a temporary folder on the C: drive itself? For example, make a temp folder on your C: drive. Copy the installation file into that folder. Then launch the app from the temp folder.

There are also appear some command line instructions (see below) that could be used to direct the install to a specific location:

http://support.dameware.com/kb/article.aspx?ID=400113

I am not sure if these sorts of commands can be used with the server install, but they might work.

jpan

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015

I have tried that method but still installs the files in our E: drive. I will, however, look into that link a bit more because it does seem to give me the option of where to put it.

Thank you for your help so far!