Question Changed BIOS settings, now the computer won't boot - PLEASE HELP ME

Apr 16, 2020
Hello,

I use an ASUS K401U laptop computer.

I tried to recover some deleted data by using a software ( i do not know if i am allowed to write the name).

the process requires creating a recovery environment via downloading an ISO file into Live CD/
Live USB Stick
i must point out that i am not familiar with this kind of procedures, so i don't know if i am clear, but i have the links to the guides i followed (if necessary).

Anyway, i chose the USB option, and at first everything went well.

then i noticed my Bad Drive was still set up as the boot drive, so i tried to change it in the BIOS settings, and that is when everything went horribly wrong.

now i can not even run my old deleted - memory computer, it just shows a black screen and a typing mark blinking without the option to type anything.

HERE IS WHAT I REMEMBER THAT I CHANGED:

SECURITY tab - "Secure Boot menu" -> "Secure Boot Control" -> Changed from "Enabled" to "Disabled".

BOOT tab - "Fast Boot" -> changed from "Enabled" to "Disabled".

BOOT tab - "Launch CSM" -> changed from "Disabled" to "Enabled".

Now my Boot tab looks like this:

https://ibb.co/bNsnTN7

When entering "Hard Drive BBS Priorities":

https://ibb.co/tX5KFKv

I Believe "HGST HTS5........ " Is the Original Boot option of the computer.

The ways i tried to solve the problem:
1. Tried to reverse everything i did (just like detailed above) -> in the Boot tab there are NO BOOT OPTION PRIORITIES SHOWN.

2. Tried to use the "Restore Defaults" in the Save & Exit tab -> did not help as well.

3. tried to open my laptop to find the BIOS/CMOS battery to unplug in order to reset the BIOS settings -> could not find it and i was afaid to make even more damage.

I APOLOGIZE FOR THE LONG STORY, I JUST WANTED IT TO BE AS MUCH DETAILED AND CLEAR AS POSSIBLE, I can provide any screenshot or other information required to solve this problem.

Everything i tried resulted nothing - black screen or the setup utility - NO WINDOWS.

i really hope someone here could help me out.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH ! :)

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020
Yeah i saw this video and it seemed just a little too complicated (for me).

But i can try again, would it solve my problem though?

Thank you very much 🙏

Man, a bios reset's just a reset. It just gets all things in it to factory settings. So why not just doing it instead of asking me? If you remember every single thing, that u did in bios, u can just undo it, to put it all back as it was, but seems like you don't remember it all, do you?

Apr 16, 2020
Yeah, seems so.

Any more suggestions other than disassembling the whole computer to disconnect a battery?

- it sounds like "restore defaults" does the same thing.