Question Changed cpu cooler, not booting with more than one stick of ram.

Fatapoc

Reputable
Aug 5, 2017
So I recently decided to buy a new cpu cooler because I changed the pc case some time ago and the new cooler would look better in the new case.
The old cpu cooler is the cooler master hyper 412s and the new cooler is the Scythe Mugen black edition (which is compatible with my cpu).
Before I swapped the cpu cooler everything worked fine.
After I installed the new cooler after the manual my pc wouldn't boot and said something was wrong with the cpu or ram (Debug led's).
I first tried booting my pc with one stick of ram and the pc would work fine, when I installed more ram sticks in any order it would show the cpu ram debug led's cycle.
I changed back to the old cpu cooler but that didn't seem to solve this issue, so I am afraid I shorted the motherboard while changing the cpu cooler.

My question is, is it possible to short the motherboard while changing the cpu cooler, and would this cause the pc being able to only boot with one stick of ram?
And is there any way I can solve this issue?

PC specs:
Motherboard: MSI z390 a pro
CPU: Intel i5 8400
Ram: 4 x 8 gb ddr4 value ram.
GPU: EVGA gtx 1080 ftw2
PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 850W

It's unlikely you shorted the motherboard.
What's much more likely is that you mangled the pins underneath the cpu somehow, which would only be possible if the retention mechanism of the cpu (the little arm) is not seated correctly.
Try reseeding the cpu and checking for bent pins.

Fatapoc

Reputable
Aug 5, 2017
It's unlikely you shorted the motherboard.
What's much more likely is that you mangled the pins underneath the cpu somehow, which would only be possible if the retention mechanism of the cpu (the little arm) is not seated correctly.
Try reseeding the cpu and checking for bent pins.
The retention mechanism was properly seated, I also checked the pins and reseated the cpu, it looked fine and it went in without any trouble.