[SOLVED] Changed from an i5 4440 to an i7 4790. The latter makes the CPU led turn red, while the first works fine. What can i do?

mrjocasrp

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019
Specs:
- Motherboard - ASUS Z87-Pro;
- CPU - i5 4440 (with Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo V2);
- GPU - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070;
- PCU - Corsair VS550;
- RAM - 2 kits of G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600 CL9 2x8GB (32GB in total);
I had my PC set with the specs I just specified and all was running smoothly. Today I tried swapping my CPU for an i7 4790, which I had in another PC, but, when I tried booting it up, it turned on the CPU led (with Q-Code 00) and the fans, but did not give any other response (the monitor had no signal).

I tried swapping back to my old CPU and all was running smoothly again. Tried updating the BIOS to the newer version through EZ Flash 2, and did not work with the new CPU, though it worked with the old one. I then tried to update the BIOS through USB BIOS flashback and it still did not work with the new one (it worked with the old one).

At this moment I am really not sure what to do. I thought it might be due to a RAM issue, but since it works on the old one I'm really doubting that.
Appreciate any replies.

Solution
I would try the new cpu with only a single memory module and no storage attached. I'd even remove the 1070 and see if it boots then.

Also, was the 4790 stock in the other system? If not, where was it obtained from?
Aug 15, 2021
Specs:
  • Motherboard - ASUS Z87-Pro;
  • CPU - i5 4440 (with Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo V2);
  • GPU - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070;
  • PCU - Corsair VS550;
  • RAM - 2 kits of G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600 CL9 2x8GB (32GB in total);
I had my PC set with the specs I just specified and all was running smoothly. Today I tried swapping my CPU for an i7 4790, which I had in another PC, but, when I tried booting it up, it turned on the CPU led (with Q-Code 00) and the fans, but did not give any other response (the monitor had no signal).

I tried swapping back to my old CPU and all was running smoothly again. Tried updating the BIOS to the newer version through EZ Flash 2, and did not work with the new CPU, though it worked with the old one. I then tried to update the BIOS through USB BIOS flashback and it still did not work with the new one (it worked with the old one).

At this moment I am really not sure what to do. I thought it might be due to a RAM issue, but since it works on the old one I'm really doubting that.
Appreciate any replies.
i am running a 4790 and it only boots with ddr3 1600 i think id dos not work on 1333 that is what i got wen i had the same problem also make sure that u do not mix ddr3 end ddr3l modules