Question Changed GPU from 1060 to 3070 but performance haven't really improved. Huh?!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

adar.winter

Reputable
Nov 25, 2018
EDIT: This is an edit that was made after the issue expressed below was solved, for all you TL; DR guys out there:
The problem was due to faulty CPU fan. It didn't cool the CPU enough which throttled the CPU speed. replacing the fan solved the issue.

ORIGINAL POST:

Hi guys.

Today I bought a new 3070 GPU and now my rig is:

CPU: i7 3.6ghz
GPU: geforce 3070 8gb vram
RAM: 32GB
PSU: 750W gold

Here is my full DXdiag:
https://pastebin.com/uUbGkF0H

I think I actually had better game performance with my previous 1060 than I do with my 3070!

I only play on 1080p
I aim for 60fps

In cyberpunk I was able to use scaled down resolution and get around 45 fps at 1080p with mixed settings. On the same settings, give or take, same resolution, no RTX and with DLSS I get around 30-45 fps with the 3070. No way that's good. Also, it seems like not matter my graphical settings, I get roughly the same performance.
My cpu usage during cyberpunk is about 85%-95%

On Uncharted I get around 30-35 fps. I am pretty sure I had over 40 fps with the 1060.
On spider-man I get good solid 60 with no RTX, but I want RTX with DLSS on. That's what I bought the card for. Yet I only get 30 fps in this game as well, even if I set the RTX to lower settings and use DLSS.

Something is very strange here.
I tried uninstalling my older GPU drivers and then DLing a specific driver from nvidia's website for my new GPU and not using the GeForce Experience, but that didn't work either.

I really need some help. I was expecting games to fly at 60fps at 1080 with DLSS on, no matter the settings, but this is far from what I'm seeing.

Thanks to anyone who can help me diagnose the issue.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023
In cyberpunk I was able to use scaled down resolution and get around 45 fps at 1080p with mixed settings. On the same settings, give or take, same resolution, no RTX and with DLSS I get around 30-45 fps with the 3070. No way that's good. Also, it seems like not matter my graphical settings, I get roughly the same performance.
My cpu usage during cyberpunk is about 85%-95%

You made a contradictory statement where you claimed you used a scaled down resolution (1060), then later the same resolution when talking about 3070.

You are probably using settings that aren't available for 1060 and higher than on the 1060, which is the most plausible explanation.

There is also a thing called "law of diminishing returns", where performance does not increase linearly with more resources.

You state CPU usage is at 85-95%, but maybe not due to the game. You may have some bloatware (or trojan) running in the background. Reinstalling may have gotten rid of it.

The 9700K. It can be gleaned from the bjn file in the first post and in the UBM screenshots. And directly further down... Also, I did note that it should be listed directly.
Thanks Kyara, that was a great help! :D I wasn't able to view that on my work PC. This is actually what I was afraid of. If it's an i7-9700K, then the problem is definitely a CPU bottleneck. Tech Deals did a video once that blew my mind. Usually the guy is a chore to watch but in this case, he made one of the best tech videos that I've ever seen. He proved that, at 1080p, a "lowly" RX 6600 would be bottlenecked by an Intel i9-10900K. I advanced the video to 3:00 so that it'll be at that part as soon as you press PLAY:
Now, if an RX 6600 is bottlenecked by an Intel i9-10900K, just imagine how much of a bottleneck that an i7-9700K would be to an RTX 3070. It would be HUGE! I'm now 100% certain that this is the problem.

This whole thing screamed "CPU BOTTLENECK!" to me from the beginning, especially since I couldn't see which i7 he had. This video made it very clear that video card speed has outpaced CPU speed by A LOT. I think that people are looking at memory timings and CPU cooling when the answer is a simple CPU bottleneck. Sometimes you just have to look at the obvious because what makes it obvious is how common it is.