Changed hard drive - Lost geniune windows 7

G

Dear members,

I got my Dell Latitude E6410 from my cousin, it was running genuine windows 7. I guess it was preinstalled on the laptop, by dell.

Anyways, recently, hard drive failed, I had to reinstall windows, and now is it possible to get the genuine windows again ? Or do I have to purchase completely fresh copy of it.

I mean is there any Dell OEM based or windows .ISO available on the internet, which can setup genuine windows 7 on my laptop (By checking its model and detecting, verifying that genuine windows comes preinstalled with it or not).

Your help will be very much appreciated.

Solution
The install CD is easy: get the Windows Download Tool for Win7 from Microsoft and download whichever sub-version of Windows you had.

For activation, if you don't have the key stuck on the laptop somewhere, there is still a chance the laptop has its Windows license certificate stored on-board.
Hi Asmar,

Does your laptop have a Windows Key sticker on the bottom? Some manufacturer's still provide the key underneath the laptop that you can re-use. If you don't have that you can ask your cousin if he still has any of the original disks & paperwork that came with the laptop. Sometimes the Windows 7 Key is provided in the accessories package when buying a new laptop.

If you don't have a sticker and don't have any of the original documents/ CD that came with the latop I'm afraid the only thing you can do is buy a new copy from Windows.

InvalidError

Titan
The install CD is easy: get the Windows Download Tool for Win7 from Microsoft and download whichever sub-version of Windows you had.

For activation, if you don't have the key stuck on the laptop somewhere, there is still a chance the laptop has its Windows license certificate stored on-board.

Solution
G

Finally, I found the key, it was in the battery area. Now second step is, from where to get geniune windows 7 professional oem iso.

Jikkelstikkel

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015

You said you already re-installed Windows. You just need to re-activate it. Re-installing again from a different disk will not change anything. The activation is separate to the disk.

G

I had reinstalled a retail version (30 day trial thing). The key won't work on retail.

The key which I've is for oem version of windows 7 professional. So I need a .iso of its oem version. 64 Bit would be good. But I'm not sure from where to get it from.

Update: Thanks everyone for giving your valuable solutions. The problem is solved, thank God. I finally found the windows 7 OEM disk, installed it, went perfect, and now even upgraded to windows 10 using the free upgrade offer. :)

Thanks again for your opinions, this forum is very helpful - very appreciated. :)