Changed Linksys Wireless Router to just Access Point

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On an existing network with dhcp. It works fine. Can connect my laptop and
another persons PDA without a problem. But I do have to assign an IP address
and the router address and the main DNS on the laptop and PDA. Is there a
way to just assign all that to the Linksys Router (BEFW11S4) so I don't have
to do it on the laptop/PDA? Or for any other wireless system? I have to
disable it on my laptop when I take it home and connect to the Dlink Router.

Thanks,
Greg

Greg <ghays@vc.com> wrote:
> On an existing network with dhcp. It works fine. Can connect my laptop and
> another persons PDA without a problem. But I do have to assign an IP address
> and the router address and the main DNS on the laptop and PDA. Is there a
> way to just assign all that to the Linksys Router (BEFW11S4) so I don't have
> to do it on the laptop/PDA? Or for any other wireless system? I have to
> disable it on my laptop when I take it home and connect to the Dlink Router.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?K2E3155E8
"How do I connect a Linksys Wireless router to a regular Ethernet Linksys
router?"
You want DHCP disabled on the Linksys.

You want to connect the Linksys "LAN", not the "WAN" to the other switch.
Or you can set the BEFW11S4 to be a simple router if it is a recent
firmware level. "Setup Tab - Advanced Routing - Operating Mode".
Then you would connect to the WAN port.

--
---

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks. But that really didn't answer my question. I can connect to the
linksys just fine. I've disabled the DHCP and so on.. Just wanted to know if
I could set up the linksys with an ip address so I wouldn't have to set up
one manually on each wireless computer.

Greg <ghays@vc.com> wrote:
> Thanks. But that really didn't answer my question. I can connect to the
> linksys just fine. I've disabled the DHCP and so on.. Just wanted to know if
> I could set up the linksys with an ip address so I wouldn't have to set up
> one manually on each wireless computer.

The reason I didn't answer is because I don't know what's missing from your
setup yet. You said it works fine, but it doesn't work. What is "it"?

Sure, you can give your Linksys an IP address. It probably is getting one
from the DHCP server on the LAN currently. That's for "remote" admin
access to the Linksys from the outside, or for accessing servers on the
wireless side. That doesn't help the wireless clients though. If you
follow the directions on the link that I gave, the wireless clients should
also pick up IP addresses from the building DHCP, and not the Linksys.

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"IT" is interface with our network. The access point lets us connect to the
internet and the network via wireless (laptop or pda).

I did follow those instructions. They were posted on another website.
Disabled the DHCP as instructed. Changed the linksys lan ip address. As I
said above, I am able to connect to our server via the wireless 802.11b on
my laptop. But if I don't manually configure my TCP/IP settings (ip address,
default gateway, preferred dns sever) then I cannot connect to the server or
the internet. Maybe Windows 2003 server doesn't like the linksys. Our DNS ip
address is the server IP address.

"Greg" <ghays@vc.com> wrote in message
> "IT" is interface with our network. The access point lets us connect to
> the
> internet and the network via wireless (laptop or pda).
>
> I did follow those instructions. They were posted on another website.
> Disabled the DHCP as instructed. Changed the linksys lan ip address. As I
> said above, I am able to connect to our server via the wireless 802.11b on
> my laptop. But if I don't manually configure my TCP/IP settings (ip
> address,
> default gateway, preferred dns sever) then I cannot connect to the server
> or
> the internet. Maybe Windows 2003 server doesn't like the linksys. Our DNS
> ip
> address is the server IP address.
>
> <dold@XReXXChang.usenet.us.com> wrote in message
>> Greg <ghays@vc.com> wrote:
>> > Thanks. But that really didn't answer my question. I can connect to the
>> > linksys just fine. I've disabled the DHCP and so on.. Just wanted to
> know if
>> > I could set up the linksys with an ip address so I wouldn't have to set
> up
>> > one manually on each wireless computer.
>>
>> The reason I didn't answer is because I don't know what's missing from
> your
>> setup yet. You said it works fine, but it doesn't work. What is "it"?
>>
>> Sure, you can give your Linksys an IP address. It probably is getting
>> one
>> from the DHCP server on the LAN currently. That's for "remote" admin
>> access to the Linksys from the outside, or for accessing servers on the
>> wireless side. That doesn't help the wireless clients though. If you
>> follow the directions on the link that I gave, the wireless clients
>> should
>> also pick up IP addresses from the building DHCP, and not the Linksys.

The same DHCP server that is assigning IP addresses and subnet masks should
be assigning DNS servers and Default Gateway addresses. Am I correct that
the DHCP server for the WLAN is different than the DHCP server for wired
clients? Have your sysadmin configure the DHCP server to assign DNS Server
addresses and Default Gateway addresses.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:54:23 -0500, "Greg" <ghays@vc.com> wrote:

>"IT" is interface with our network. The access point lets us connect to the
>internet and the network via wireless (laptop or pda).
>
>I did follow those instructions. They were posted on another website.
>Disabled the DHCP as instructed. Changed the linksys lan ip address. As I
>said above, I am able to connect to our server via the wireless 802.11b on
>my laptop. But if I don't manually configure my TCP/IP settings (ip address,
>default gateway, preferred dns sever) then I cannot connect to the server or
>the internet. Maybe Windows 2003 server doesn't like the linksys. Our DNS ip
>address is the server IP address.

Broadcast pass thru isn't working right. DHCP is a broadcast and the
radio is apparently blocking them for some reason. Some of the
routers that I've tried stupidly do this when used as an access point.
Sniff the packets to be sure.

Go to the bottom of the Security -> Filter page and play with the
Filter MAC address settings. I think (i.e. not sure) that doing any
MAC filtering automatically blocks broadcasts. If so, it's a bug.

The sloppy way to solve this is to turn the DHCP server back on, but
set it dispense a different IP address sub-net as the main DHCP
server. For example, if the Windoze 2003 server is delivering
192.168.1.100->150, then set the BEFW11S4 to deliver
192.168.1.151->200 or whatever doesn't have an overlap. This fix
doesn't scale very well, but is tolerable for small systems.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558