[SOLVED] Changed MB and SSD won't boot - compatibility issue or is a reset required

Deralinoux

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2014
Hello everyone !

After seven years of faithful service, my Motherboard left me. I've decided to buy an ASUS TUF B550 PLUS and obviously changed the CPU and RAM to go with it. My old SSD however I've kept in its original state, it's a Crucial M500 480GB. It is detected by the BIOS in its right SATA port, but when I try to boot from it I get the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" error.

I have changed the SATA cables, trying both my old one and the new 6GB/s one that was provided with the board, as well as switched ports on the Motherboard. I have also reset and completely updated the BIOS (current version 2423).

Do you know if this is a compatibility issue because my SSD is too old (in which case I would try and transfer its memory to a new one), or should not happen and is then likely due to hardware malfunction from the SSD - or maybe I should just reset it ?

Thank you so much for your help !

Solution
Drive age shouldn't matter. It is possible that the motherboard dying did something to your windows install. A new motherboard does often require a fresh install, regardless. If you can live without the files on that drive, then just do a fresh install, on that drive. If not, just pick up a new drive, install windows on it, and try to access the files you want.

logainofhades

Titan
Drive age shouldn't matter. It is possible that the motherboard dying did something to your windows install. A new motherboard does often require a fresh install, regardless. If you can live without the files on that drive, then just do a fresh install, on that drive. If not, just pick up a new drive, install windows on it, and try to access the files you want.

Reactions: tecmo34
Solution

logainofhades

Titan
If you have your product key still, just use it during install. You can do the install, and skip product key part, with Win 10. Then for activation, you may have to get in contact with Microsoft, to get your license transferred due to hardware changes. If you previously registered your install, with them, it should be a much easier task.